Medinah Minerals (MDMN) - 2017 Q1General Discussion

I really doubt it.

Won’t be shared with the world or his friends!

1 Like

They are letting us know that they are building a great case for the IPO

1 Like

Thank you Z! Hope so

For those who aren’t aware, Dr. Richard H Sillitoe is the foremost authority on copper porphyry deposits in the world, so much so he has a geological model named after him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sillitoe+porphyry+model&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj828iZ49fSAhUBcCYKHccxD3cQsAQILQ&biw=1600&bih=725

His work is consistently referenced in just about every geological abstract or technical report on copper porphyries.

You don’t contract someone of his caliber unless you are serious and that the deposit has the potential. This is a very significant announcement for the advancement of the ADL and his analysis will go a long way to furthering the credibility of the ADL deposit/district. This was an excellent move by Auryn and I look forward to reading Dr. Sillitoe’s analysis.

15 Likes

I don’t believe it! This guy literally wrote the book on porphyry deposits. He was my go to source of info about Chile mineral deposits from day 1 going all the way back to the 1990’s. I’m sure he will absolutely love the Alto
I am going to guess that they will some comments from him in their IPO promotional literature.

3 Likes

Mike, your thoughts as to why Auryn would employ a geologist of this caliber to report “for internal purposes”? I thought Janna was currently the go to guy.
Auryn are moving pretty quickly and they would need a NI 43-101 for an IPO or JV wouldn’t they? Could this report have a dual purpose?

1 Like

Probably just like everyone else who has looked at the property, Auryn is struggling to get a handle on the shear size, scope and nature of the gold/copper deposit so they can develop a sensible plan to exploit it with the limited resources they have available. How do you get the most bang for your exploration buck?

Auryn is small Company. IMO, this project would even be a challenge for a consortium of some of largest Majors out there.

4 Likes

An NI 43-101 would only be necessary if Auryn was going to be listed on a Canadian exchange. Thus far Auryn has only indicated that they will be going public on the OTC. Based on the release, Dr. Sillitoe is only providing an evaluation report. That wouldn’t be anything included in a formal geological report as far as I know. As Mike indicated, they could certainly use his findings in corporate literature about the ADL, but as it stands now he has been hired for internal purposes to “provide Auryn’s team with a fuller understanding of the diverse geological structures found at the Altos de Lipangue and help place them within an historical regional context.”

1 Like

Here is a whole publication dedicated to Dr. Sillitoe and his work and is worth a read:

The decision by Rio Tinto Exploration to support a Society of
Economic Geologists (SEG) volume dedicated to Dick Sillitoe
is in recognition and appreciation of his contributions to
the understanding of the world’s major copper districts on
behalf of thousands of industry and academic geologists. It is
fitting that this is done through the SEG, the Society that has
been so closely associated with many of his best known publications.

Dick has been widely honored throughout his career. His
many awards in economic geology include the SEG Lindgren
Award (1975), Wollaston Fund from the Geological Society
(1977), SEG Thayer Lindsley Lecturer (1988), SEG Distinguished
Lecturer (1992), Haddon Forrester King Medal
from the Australian Academy of Science (1995), William
Smith Medal from the Geological Society (1996), SEG Silver
Medal (2002), Sir Julius Wernher Memorial Lecturer for the
Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (2008), SEG International
Exchange Lecturer (2012), and Herbert Thomas
Prize from the Geological Society of Chile (2012).
From a start with the UK Ministry of Overseas Development
studying supergene enrichment of copper deposits in
Chile, from 1965 to 1968, Dick then spent three years with
the Instituto de Investigaciones GeolĂłgicas (Chilean Geological
Survey) studying porphyry copper deposits before becoming
an independent geologic consultant in 1971.
Since 1968, Dick has published 120 technical publications
in international journals, books, bulletins, and conference proceedings.
His papers in Economic Geology and other publications
of the SEG are reproduced on the CD-ROM included
with this volume. He has also written more than 800 unpublished
technical reports while consulting for over 200 mining
companies, seven governments, and four international agencies
in 97 countries around the world.
When not working in the field or writing up his observations,
Dick has committed his time to education in economic
geology. He has been an invited speaker at 95 international
conferences to date, co-convened five major conferences,
presented 40 public lectures at universities, geological surveys,
and scientific meetings, given 16 short courses at universities,
geological societies, and conferences, delivered 45
in-house courses for mining companies, run 17 field courses
for mining companies and other organizations, acted as Associate
Editor, Revista Geológica de Chile (1986−present),
Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Geochemical Exploration
(1994−1999), and Honorary Editor, Resource Geology
(2007−present); and was SEG President (1999−2000),
the IAGOD Regional Councillor for Europe (1980−1984),
and the UK correspondent for IGCP Project 342, “Age and
Isotopes of South American Ores” (1993−1997).
This prodigious body of work has made it virtually impossible
for a geologist to work on a copper deposit today without
benefiting from Dick’s field observations and genetic models.
His ferocious work rate has led him to see more orebodies
and prospects and to meet more economic geologists than
possibly any other geologist to date.
A highly commendable aspect of Dick’s work is the large
number of people who have shared in his studies and publications.
Dick is consistently generous in the recognition of
other people’s ideas and meticulous in referencing previous
work.
Another commendable aspect is his clarity of writing and
oral presentation. He goes quickly to the issues of most importance
to his audience and delivers conclusions and opinions
that are valued. He is also never afraid to admit uncertainty
when these circumstances arise.
It seemed an almost impossible task to summarize Dick’s
most significant accomplishments but an attempt has been
made in the Table below. Reading through this list gives some
appreciation of his contributions. However, to many of us who
know Dick well, it will fall short in really describing the man.
He is never condescending or self important, is always good
natured and humorous, and always treats people with the
same courtesy and respect regardless of their age or position.
Finally, while Dick’s name does not appear on the editorial
list, I can confirm that his skill as an author and his commitment
to this project have resulted in an outstanding publication.
The eagerness of the most knowledgeable copper geologists
to volunteer papers for the volume reflects enormous
respect and admiration.
It is a great pleasure for Rio Tinto Exploration to help with
the production of this volume. It will stand as a cornerstone
reference on copper deposits and as a fitting appreciation to
Dick for his outstanding contributions.

3 Likes

Or more to the point, here is his presentation on Porphyry and Epithermal Deposits and it covers basically the geology that created the Alto. Note that in slide #2 he shows the gigantic Grasberg deposit as an example
very nice! :slight_smile: What he will bring to the table is tremendous perspective on just where the Alto fits in compared to the hundreds of other gold/copper deposits that he is familiar with and that he has created ore body models for.

www.mininggeologyhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Sillitoe.ppt

5 Likes

I like his name
 Silly toe! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would imagine that it’s not easy to hire this guy I guess Auryn has their connections.Another sign that we are in good hands.

1 Like

I can hear Doc’s gears turning, next installment soon :wink:

1 Like

You don’t do something like this without, triggering some peoples antenna’s in the mining community. The majors are depleting their profitable reserves, they need new profitable reserves. This will draw their attention to wonder what the potential is here. You don’t bring someone of his caliber and statue , unless your fairly comfortable that you have the goods.

4 Likes

And the dumping continues :rage:

1 Like

And don’t forget “Dr. Jannas is an experienced exploration and mining geology professional that with a successful international track record in identification, acquisition and discovery of major deposits. Raymond has a Ph.D. from Harvard University and more than 30 years’ experience in mining geology, exploration, business development and strategic planning with companies such as Minera Fuego, Hochschild Mining, Gold Fields, Metallica Resources, LAC Minerals, Bond Gold, and St. Joe. Dr. Jannas’ main focus has been in exploration and business development in Latin America (principally Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela) in addition to world-wide project generation.”
http://cexr.cl/congreso/en/advisory-committee/

Did Dr. Raymond Jannas recommend bringing in Dr. Silltoe because he was just a little impressed at what he was seeing on the ALTO, or does the ADL appear to be a WCD? Apparently Maurizio Cordova and Dr. Jannas are thinking WCD. Just how will having Dr. Silltoe produce an evaluation report of the Altos de Lipangue Mining District contribute to an understanding of the economic value of the ADL?:wink:

Thanks for posting, Mike. - Rio Tinto sponsors “in recognition of Richard H. Sillitoe’s
contribution to the understanding of the world’s major copper deposits” an entire edition and titled it:

Geology and Genesis of Major Copper Deposits and Districts of the World:

A Tribute to Richard H. Sillitoe

Why? Maybe he’s contributed a bit of understanding to his field of expertise
 :wink:

R. H. Sillitoe Career Highlights
1970: First formal recognition of subduction control on por- phyry Cu and related ore deposits.
1970: Sited discovery hole at Los Pelambres porphyry Cu deposit, Chile (in production).
1971: Recognized control of ore by K-silicate alteration and used the relationship to plan the definition drilling program at Bajo de La Alumbrera porphyry Cu-Au deposit, Argentina (in production). Also drew atten- tion for the first time to its high Au content.
1971: First formal recognition of genetic relationship be- tween porphyry Cu deposits and volcanoes.
1972: Predicted that volcanogenic massive sulfide (VMS) de- posits would be found at oceanic spreading centers (confirmed in 1989).
1973: Recognized potential and designed exploration pro- gram for VMS deposits in greenstone belts of Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso), which led to discovery of Perkoa Zn-Pb-Ag deposit (mine under construction).
1974: Conducted basic geologic work and supervised drilling at Saindak porphyry Cu-Au deposit, Pakistan (in pro- duction). Work led to first recognition of abundant hydrothermal magnetite as an indicator of Au-rich porphyry Cu deposits.
1976: First recognition of sediment-hosted stratiform Zn- Pb-Ag prospects and potential, Khuzdar district, Pak- istan (in production).
1978: Recognition of concealed porphyry potential and dis- covery of Mocoa porphyry Cu-Mo deposit, Colombia.
1979: Discovery in South Korea of first Climax-type por- phyry Mo deposit outside the United States on behalf of Amax.
1980: Discovery with J. Cabello of La Coipa high sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Chile (in production).
1981: Recognition of bulk gold potential in Mount Leyshon breccia system, Queensland, Australia (mine now ex- hausted).
11981: Recognition of concealed porphyry Cu-Au potential at Lepanto, Philippines, using diatreme clasts (Far Southeast deposit at definition drilling stage).
1983: Recommended exploration for concealed manto-type Cu-Ag mineralization at Las Luces, Chile, leading to deposit discovery (mine now exhausted).
1983: Remapped Wau low sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag de- posit, Papua New Guinea (mining completed), leading to first formal recognition of maar-diatreme systems as controls of some epithermal ore deposits.
1984: Application of diatreme model to exploration of Mon- tana Tunnels Au-Ag-Zn-Pb deposit, Montana, United States (mine now exhausted).
1985: Initial sampling and recommendation of Choque- limpie high sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Chile (mine now exhausted).
1987 (and subsequently): Involvement in continuous exten- sion of ore reserves at Lo Aguirre manto-type Cu and Sagasca exotic Cu deposits, Chile (Lo Aguirre ex- hausted, Sagasca in production).
1988−1990: Involvement in exploration and discovery of Au deposits in the Maricunga belt, Chile, including first recognition of porphyry Au deposits.
1990: Recommendation of Cerro Vanguardia low sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Argentina (in production).
1990: Geologic reappraisal of Paradise Peak high sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag-Hg district, Nevada, United States (subsequently mined out).
1991: Successful prediction of enhanced Au contents at depth in Wafi porphyry Cu-Au deposit, Papua New Guinea (deeper drilling ongoing).
1991: Preparation of first geologic model for MM (Ministro Hales) porphyry Cu deposit, Chuquicamata district, Chile (mine under construction).
1993: Prediction of existence of concealed Damiana exotic Cu deposit, El Salvador, Chile (mine now exhausted).
1994: Recognition of sediment-hosted Au mineralization, Sepon, Laos (3 Moz deposit in production).
1994: Recommendation of Zarsharan sediment-hosted Au prospect, Iran (3 Moz deposit defined).
1994−2002: Participation in brownfields exploration of El Peñón low sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag district Chile, leading to discovery of several new bonanza-grade veins (in production).
1995: First formal recognition of existence of high sulfida- tion VMS deposits.
1996: Assistance with geologic modeling of Yanacocha high sulfidation epithermal Au deposits, Peru.
xi
1996: Recommended exploration of porphyry Cu prospects, Pangui district, southern Ecuador (four deposits de- fined to date, mine development planned).
1997: Recommendation of the Opache porphyry Cu prospect, Chile (reserve defined).
1997 (through 2000): Geologic modeling of Gaby porphyry Cu deposit, Chile (in production).
2000: Predicted major subsurface extension of main Gal- adriel-Julia vein, Esquel low sulfidation epithermal Au deposit, Argentina, and recommended successful drill testing (mine construction halted by local commu- nity).
> 2000 (and 2001): Geologic modeling of the Boyongan por- phyry Cu-Au deposit, Mindanao, Philippines (at feasi- bility stage).
2002: Reinterpretation of origin of Pueblo Viejo high sulfi- dation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Dominican Repub- lic, beneath barren limestone cover.
2004: Prediction of eastward blind extension of Pebble West porphyry Cu-Au deposit, Alaska, United States (higher grade Pebble East deposit subsequently dis- covered and now at prefeasibility stage).
2004−2005: Assistance with geologic modeling of Hugo Dummett porphyry Cu-Au deposit, Oyu Tolgoi, Mon- golia (mine under construction).
2005: Recommended low sulfidation Au-Ag vein targets under cover and at depth, Cerro Bayo, Chile (two new veins discovered and exploited).
2005−2008: Recommended exploration leading to discovery of the San Enrique-Monolito and Los Sulfatos por- phyry Cu-Mo deposits, Los Bronces district, Chile (Anglo American team received 2011 Prospector of the Year Award from the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada).
2006−2007: Assistance with geologic modeling of Fruta del Norte bonanza-grade intermediate sulfidation epither- mal Au-Ag deposit, Ecuador (at feasibility stage).
2006: Assistance with geologic modeling of Resolution por- phyry Cu-Mo deposit, Arizona, United States (at prefeasibility stage).
2006: Recommended drill hole that discovered the Eureka West low sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Cerro Negro district, Argentina (recently purchased by Goldcorp Inc. for US$3.2 billion; mine under con- struction).
2007: Geologic modeling of breccia-hosted Cu-Au deposits in Gaoua district, Burkina Faso (infill drilling stage).
2007: Recognition of porphyry Au system at Biely Vrch, Slo- vakia (prefeasibility stage).
2007: Assistance with geologic modeling of La Colosa por- phyry Au deposit, Colombia (at prefeasibility stage).
2007: Assistance with geologic modeling of Navidad Ag-Pb deposit, Argentina (feasibility stage).
2007−2011: Involvement in brownfields exploration of Es- condida porphyry Cu district, northern Chile, which led to discovery of Pampa Escondida and Escondida Este deposits.
2008−2010: Geologic modeling of Caspiche porphyry Au-Cu deposit, Chile (at feasibility stage).
2008−2010: Reinterpretation with J. Perelló of model for stratiform Cu-Co mineralization in Central African Copperbelt based on work in Zambia, DRC, Botswana, and Namibia.
2009: Recommended search for low sulfidation epithermal Au deposits in Afar depression, Ethiopia and Djibouti, leading to discovery of several previously unknown auriferous veins (drilling underway).
2010: Recommended drilling leading to discovery of Pom- peya high sulfidation Au-Ag deposit, La Coipa district, Chile (definition drilling stage).
2011: Recommended drilling leading to discovery of Or- taçam North high sulfidation Au deposit, Turkey (defi- nition drilling stage).

Just for that Rick I’m going to bore you with yet another diatribe and if you continue to hound me I’m going to buy you season tickets to the upcoming OSU Beaver football season. If Sillitoe’s report is kept solely for “internal purposes” I’ll take a stab at how the abstract will read. My guess:

"The noteworthy characteristics of the ADL twin porphyry system are four-fold. First of all the vertical depth of emplacement of especially the easternmost Cu-Mo porphyry appears to be very favorable because of the grades of moly detected in the soil sampling at the Pegaso Nero. Those grades found at surface are reminiscent of the mega-moly mines found at Climax, Henderson and Cuesta. The presence of potassic alteration in the form of potassium feldspar is also indicative of close proximity to the porphyry stock (Lowell-Guilbert model). [NOTE: Dick Sillitoe did a 1974 paper on the vertical depth of emplacement of the average copper porphyry. He found that the average depth for the TOP of the average porphyry deposit is in between 1.5 and 3 Km. The average depth for the moly layer (found near the base of the porphyry) might be 3 Km to 4 Km or so i.e. not at surface like at the ADL.]

Secondly, the low to intermediate sulphidation state epithermal veins found in the Merlin/Fortuna area are noteworthy not just for their high grades but also for the fact that the four typical levels to these systems are all still intact including the carbonate level. The “bonanza” grade gold, as is the norm, is found in an area with the silicates presenting with a chalcedonic texture (milky quartz) which is indicative of a “boiling zone”. With depth the silicates transition into a more coarse quartz texture near the area where the high grade gold would be expected to transition into a base metal zone. Closer to surface the veins take on a crustiform texture and the typical “banding” pattern is found suggesting many phases to the mineralizing events.

Thirdly, the overall twin porphyry “system” presents in a very classic fashion with all of the standard adnexa to these systems present. These include stratabound copper/manto presentations, skarnified areas/replacement deposits, an intact epithermal system, porphyritic textures, etc. Fourthly, the preliminary size implications are very large. The hyperspectral satellite imaging study performed by C.S. Perez revealed a 7 Km swath of about a dozen intrusives extending in a northeasterly direction across the southern downslope off of the centrally located plateau. This suggests the potential for a very significantly sized polymetallic deposit.

The Re/Os studies carried out by Aguilera in conjunction with a Canadian lab reveal the same approximately 91 million year old age of the very large Andacollo Mine to the north of the ADL. The suggestion is that the Chilean Coastal Cordillera’s “Early Cretaceous Porphyry Belt” does indeed extend south of the Colliguay and Llahuin deposits and includes the ADL mining district. This should provide plenty of data to make comparable analyses between the various deposits contained within the belt."

NOTE: This is not the work of Dr. Sillitoe but instead a very rough guess as to the highlights of his upcoming report which we may or may not have access to.

Hey
he has done a lot more since 2011
you cut off all his most recent work! :slight_smile:

His journal article “Porphyry Copper Systems” that came out in 2010 is so popular that it listed as #4 most read article as of February 2017 in the Economic Geology Journal. I managed to get a PDF copy of the article and it is good stuff.

Why some are dumping is beyond me, we probably have something big here,you should buy not dump,especially at this price.