Auryn/Medinah - 2022 - 1st Half General Discussion

I think checking off these boxes will propel MDMN back over the .01 pps threshold. I’ll admittedly be dissapointed if it does not.

1. Public announcement of intercepting the DL Vein

2. Release of financial forecasts, which I expect to be impressive, but grounded enough to ensure high probability of meeting expectation.

3. Positive developments on the share conversion front. (Note: I believe 1 and 2 could be enough to get us there, but this unknown is surely holding the stock back to whatever degree)

12 Likes

Here’s to Maurizio

I have been thinking about Maurizio a lot lately. Wondering what’s going on in his head. This has got to be a very exciting time for him. He knows he is on to… something. Knows it so deeply that he years ago invited his circle of friends to jump aboard. Knows it so deeply that many months ago he started bankrolling the whole operation from his own funds. He likes to follow through on his predictions. What other people say or think about him doesn’t appear to affect him. These are all things I surmise from my observation of his actions, including a day spent studying him in Las Vegas five-plus years ago.

Lately I find myself wondering if he is having misgivings or second thoughts or stage fright, up there on the Mountain with last year’s positive cash flow prediction still hanging, murky. With two truckloads of ore and a broken scoop, dammit. Having drilled and blasted two or three or four football fields deep into the Mountain in the very spot where his hired world-class experts indicated he would find the world-class Don Luis vein, still elusive, still slippery, double dammit… Does any of this bother him? Keep him awake at night? Make him lose confidence?

Yesterday, on my daily walk in the redwoods above Oakland, California, I was again entertaining my musings on Maurizio. When I got home and started making dinner I realized I needed a bottle of wine from the stash I keep in my backyard studio. (Every few weeks I order a case of, mostly, quite drinkable red wines from all over the world for $6 a bottle – wineforsale.com.) The bottle I grabbed last night was, I noticed, from Chile – the Aconcagua Valley it says on the label. I thought, "I’ll click a photo to share with my miningplay folks, so silent all week, and I’ll propose a toast to Maurizio. So: Here’s to Maurizio, whatever he is thinking, whatever is going through his head. He is our guy.

PS – I noticed one of my old books, and chuckled: “I hope not to need to pull Primal Scream off the shelf and blow the dust off it and search for insight into this group’s long, collective, silent, and very primal screaming…”

After a glass of indeed quite drinkable wine, I thought: “I hope to soon have a more expensive wine with which to toast Maurizio. What an adventure…”

Again: To Maurizio. Salud!

– madmen

18 Likes

I cracked open my bottle of Boones Farm to join you.

4 Likes

Just kidding. But if I had a bottle more expensive than $9, I would have opened it and not had a glass from my Trader Joe’s Red Blend ( in the box).

2 Likes

“Na Zdorovie, cheers, salud, prost, a votre sante, cin cin!”

Lets just not wait to long for some good news, ok"
iu-8

1 Like

Wowza!

7 Likes

Looks nice! Gold up as well over 1830. Just need to hit that DL and it’s all up from there.

Is this what a mesothermal vein looks like?

Can we tell if we’re close?

That first picture looks like an advertisement for a “SuperGene Enrichment” zone (SGE zone). From top down, mesothermal veins typically go Gossan at surface, then leached zone, then oxide zone, then water table, then SGE Zone (if you’re lucky enough to have one) and then hypogene ore.

What happens in SGE is near surface sulfides of copper like chalcopyrite which is copper-iron-sulfide (34% Cu) gets “oxidized” by the oxygen contained in rain water and it gets converted into a “sulfate”. “Sulfates” readily dissolve in liquids and they trickle down to the water table and get converted into “secondary ores of copper”. There they pile up in very highly-concentrated forms of “enriched copper” like chalcocite (80% Cu), bornite (63% Cu), covellite (66% Cu), and chrysocolla (34% Cu), etc.

The dark blue stuff appears to be bornite. It has been all over the place in the Antonino Adit. Gold loves to hang out near bornite in very high concentrations. In fact, a study done at the University of Michigan revealed that the gold associated with bornite will be approximately 10-times the grade of gold associated with chalcopyrite within what are called gold-copper-iron-sulfide deposits like ours. This is especially true if the bornite is in a “high-heat” area where it formed i.e. 450 to 600-degrees C. “Mesothermal veins” like the DL1 Vein, form at much higher temperatures than the more common “epithermal veins”.

The light blue stuff appears to be “chrysocolla”. It’s kind of a turquoise color and it presents with a rounded/botryoidal appearance like you see in the picture. It’s a “copper-phyllosilicate” that is half “spertiinite” and half chalcedony or “milk quartz”. The pinkish/tannish looking stuff looks like “potassium feldspar” or “K-Spar”. This signifies “potassic alteration” which is the highest heat form of alteration there is. Remember that the bornite will really attract the gold if you’re in a super-hot temperature zone like the kind that “K-Spar” forms in.

If you left click that first image of Kevin’s, it will magnify it. Notice the concentration of the SHINY YELLOW STUFF (SYS) within that fluffy-looking chalcedonic quartz i.e. “milk quartz” in which you can’t make out quartz crystals. It is “aphanitic” or “cryptocrystalline”. It’s no coincidence that there’s so much SYS within that quartz. Both the high concentration of the SYS as well as the presence of chalcedonic/milk quartz signify that you are within a “boiling zone”.
Gold travels with sulfur in a dissolved state called a “thiosulphate complex”. “Boiling” disrupts the bond between the gold and the sulfur ion which makes the gold convert to a solid and drop out of solution (“precipitate”) right on the spot.

The problem is that gold-bearing hydrothermal fluids are so super-heated that they need to cool down a bunch in order to boil. This occurs when a vein has an area where it dilates out. This causes a rapid decrease in temperature. It happens so quick that the quartz solidifies but doesn’t have time to build up nice crystals. It takes on the appearance you see in Kevin’s photo i.e. milk-like. So, “boiling zones” are going to feature very high-grade gold in the midst of milky-looking quartz. You’ve got to be careful because pyrite/”fool’s gold” and chalcopyrite (copper-gold-iron-sulfide) qualify as SHINY YELLOW STUFF also. Wait for the assays, but he science is what it is and it is very compelling.

Back to the “dilatations” in vein and vein-related fault structures, these induce boiling and a rapid temperature drop. What areas are famous for providing nice areas of “dilatation”. “Fault jogs” or curves in a fault structure are one. Another is in these things called “splays” or “ramifications” that extend outwards from a mesothermal vein structure.

When the initial fault, that set the stage for the formation of the DL1 Vein, was forming, a bunch of side faulting occurred to lessen the stresses and strains within the rock. The width of these “splays” averages 10% of the width of the parent vein and their length averages 30% of the length of the parent vein. I can’t remember the author of this study. I don’t for a moment think that the DL1 Vein is going to be 10-times as wide as these structures that the photos keep showing.

When you’re dealing with a mesothermal vein system, the rule of thumb is that they widen with depth, become higher grade with depth and they extend vertically for sometimes up to 1,000 to 1,500 meters. They’re monsters. No promises, but all of the stuff we’re seeing at this level of the Antonino Adit could extend downwards for a very long distance. Don’t forget the other 6 or so main veins in this “mesothermal vein system”. “Boiling zones” range from 50 to 800 meters in vertical width. The average is a little over 300 meters. SUPERGENE ENRICHMENT ZONES can also extend for great vertical widths.

10 Likes

SYS is my new favorite highly technological term.

5 Likes

The “L” in Don Luis

I don’t know how you missed it, Brecciaboy!

I had to flip the photo around, but don’t try to tell me that’s not the “L” that fell off signage left over from the glory days of the Don Luis Vein.

If our crew just looks a little over to the “left” I’m sure they’ll find the “D” and then everything else they’re looking for, too…

Obviously we’re close!

– madmen :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

A patient and close friend of mine has been coaching me on what his eyes see on the Auryn photo gallery. He is a Professor of Geology at a local university and the head of two different worldwide geological associations-a total brainiac. He lectures worldwide representing his alma mater, Stanford University, as well as the Smithsonian. His advice was for me to keep an eye on all of that bluish bornite (63% Cu) and the reddish-brown cuprite (88% Cu). Of course, he liked all of that SHINY YELLOW STUFF also. Copper is now trading at over $10,000 per metric tonne.

When you have two different metals contributing to the economics of your deposit, you need to talk in terms of “gold equivalent” if gold is your dominant economic metal. At today’s prices, each 1% of copper contributes 1.74 grams per tonne of “gold equivalent“ to the value. A recent intersection in the Antonino Adit assayed out at “X” amount of gpt gold and 5.3% copper. The copper contributes 9.2 gpt “gold equivalents” in this case. Keep in mind, the average grade of gold being mined in an underground fashion is 7 gpt worldwide.

Having two different metals contributing toward the economics of a deposit is obviously beneficial. But it also vastly increases the universe of potential suitors as well as potential investors. I personally think that legitimate copper discoveries are going to be snapped up by the big boys once confirmed. Mining is different than a lot of businesses, a major needs to constantly replace that which it produces on a monthly or annual basis. When the price of copper is on a roll, majors crank up production as best they can and the MR/MR on their balance sheets can go fast. Replacing MR/MR is not just a good idea, it’s EXISTENTIAL. Nobody’s going to invest in a copper major with nothing in the pipeline at a time when new discoveries are pretty much nonexistent. With the producers’ average grade falling out of bed, the price of copper has to take off in order to meet the upcoming demand surge. There are not a whole lot of “substitutes” for copper in most applications. All of these countries and corporations committing to these “zero emission standards” are going to have to line up sources of copper somewhere.

These mesothermal veins definitely appear to be “GOLD/COPPER” veins versus “COPPER/GOLD” veins. Besides the “battery metals”, the metal that everybody is focusing in on now is COPPER. All of these “decarbonization”, “zero carbon emissions”, electric vehicles (EVs), “electrification of the planet”, solar and wind power concerns are not going anywhere. The fossil fuels are out and electricity’s in. It’s interesting how the environmentalists that might have a beef with mining, have no problem whatsoever with copper mining. So, copper is going to be providing a “hedge”.

In the copper world, the biggest factor out there worldwide is the lack of new copper discoveries. A couple of years ago, the average grade of copper being produced worldwide was 1.6% Cu. Today, it is below 1%. It might take a major 20 years to mine out the SUPERGENE ENRICHMENT ZONE and make a ton of money in the process but eventually that’s going to be gone and they’re going to be going after much deeper hypogene ore of a much-lesser grade.

On the Auryn scenario, everybody talks about the mesothermal veins and lots of high-grade gold. They’re going to make a fortune on the “meso’s” but I don’t sense that they will ever be for sale. What I’m wondering about is what has all of these high grades of both copper and gold found in the Antonino Adit done to the interest level in the Pegaso Nero. Have these findings “derisked” the Pegaso Nero from the point of view of a major miner. From a “mining district” point of view, the Pegaso Nero is still the elephant in the room and the potential value of this elephant has done nothing but gone up with all of these high-grade copper showings in the Antonino Adit as well as the price of copper breaking out.

Auryn’s geoscientists as well as those of any interested major miner have been climbing a “learning curve” as to what underlies the mesothermal veins. The grades of BOTH the gold and the copper are somewhat extraordinary at the ADL. Those metal-bearing hydrothermal fluids and gases came out of an underlying magma chamber. Magma chambers are humongous and can extend for many miles. Oftentimes, the relict magma chambers and area above its roof/carapace are developed as “porphyry copper deposits” or sometimes “IOCG” deposits or even stratabound copper deposits.

It’s going to be fun watching this play out. There are so many different ways it could go. For some reason, I can’t visualize Maurizio parting with the mesothermal veins until after he ramped up production significantly until it eventually plateaued out. There’s just too much low-hanging fruit out there to be plucked.

If the cash flow from the veins ends up being way beyond expectations, I suppose Maurizio could opt to at least initiate some action on the Pegaso Nero and/or LDM. If I’m not mistaken, the last time we heard anything about the Pegaso Nero was at the “informational meeting” in Las Vegas about 5 years ago. At that time, Maurizio had Freeport McMoRann’s permission to name that as a party of interest under an NDA agreement. There were 2 majors “even larger than Freeport” that were kicking the tires back then also. If nothing else, at least some success on the meso’s might provide Maurizio some bargaining leverage on any strategic alliance entered into on the Pegaso Nero.

As an aside: I don’t know if it is just my choice of friends in the geological sector or if all of you run into this, but these guys have a different sense of humor and they’re very proud of their profession. One of my buddies pops into the clinic door constantly and yells down the hallway, “hay doc how are the porphyries or how are the meso’s?“ He often wears this hat that says “OH SCHIST!” I don’t think that 2% of the public know that “schist” is a metamorphic rock that is composed of parallel plates of minerals that can be peeled off layer by layer.

Another buddy, another geo, has a T-shirt that says “HAVE A GNEISS DAY”. A ”gneiss” is another type of metamorphic rock that is like a “schist” but it forms under very high pressures and temperatures. It has alternating layers of DIFFERENT mineral assemblages. Is it just my friends or are they all this way?

6 Likes

Well, if I’m not mistaken, we already have gold running at 15 gpt (our guys are putting that aside to chase the more prolific ore).

If we add the 9.2 gpt gold equivalent from the copper, then that totals 24.2 gpt?

Not shabby, but still just below that 25 gpt we’re trying to hit in order to get economies of scale with __________ (whatever their name is, the guys that process the ore?).

1 Like

I think this spot may be a bit higher than 25 gpt. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Could we be getting closer? :smiley:

3 Likes

Kevin who would be making the call once the DL vein is intersected? Will they have a geologist that will make sure 100% it’s been in fact intersected? What determines that? How would they know? Tia

4 Likes

Sure looks like there is plenty of that bluish bornite (63% Cu) and reddish-brown cuprite (88% Cu) in that sample. As BB was also explaining:

Getting gold concentration shipments to consistently exceed that 25 gpt threshold is likely going to necessitate a concentrator of some sort to take full advantage of all that copper credit. Management is still actively exploring the feasibility, timing, and permitting requirements for the development of an on-site concentration and processing plant. I’d like to see an announcement that this has been definitively accomplished. Then the cash flow will be substantial.

5 Likes

Nice day for Gold 1845

And just like that it’s at 1860

TR if you see this can you post a new chart on Gold please

4 Likes

Will be nice when pictures turn into $s

2 Likes

Brecciaboy, please comment on the picture that Wizard posted just above - would love to hear your comments.

2 Likes