Auryn/Medinah - 2023 1st Half General Discussion

I’m over here in reality but always entertained by how far flung some of these predictions drift until they crash down to Earth with each new PR from the company. Let me guess, the next update will tell us that the negotiations with a “global metals traders” is ongoing pending further analysis of the data from the Peruvian Lab. More students from the Chilean University visited the adit and drew pictures of cavemen on the walls. Maurizio received accolades for his ESG initiatives by releasing minimal CO2 in the atmosphere b/c they haven’t actually started mining. You don’t need me to provide the cold water. The share price and updates from the company suffice.

I would think that most here would be pleased with a simple update indicating that Enami has started to receive some ore to begin whittling down the increasing obligation/liability to Maurizio. Comparisons to El Pinon or even working on more than one face at this point seem to set unacheivable expectations. There are lots of Octogenerian shareholders at this point. Time to “pick up the original, pick up the Pace.”

Perspective

Yes, John I would agree with you on this. Anything short of not signing an agreement with the minerals trader (which I don’t think has happened yet, or it will be a material event that will need to be disclosed) and not starting production will be disappointing. Hope this update has some serious meat in it. I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.

Why would you expect any of that?

Read the last update for the objective for Q2.

Q2 2023 – OBJECTIVES

• Complete the evacuation/ventilation chimney and connect with the old workings to provide improved ventilation and safety for our operations.

• Develop and complete a comprehensive metallurgical study to evaluate the viability of using gravimetric plants for the concentration and recovery of gold in AURYN’s ore, with the aim of finding a higher margin alternative for processing and sale. Based on the results of the study, we can make informed decisions regarding the most efficient and profitable method of gold recovery and concentrate production.

They have an MOU with a metals trader. As far as we know, that may be dependent on a number of things, including the results of the study.

Go read back a few posts ago when I posted why they are doing the metallurgical study. The MOU may be completely dependent on the results of that.

Gravimetric plants for concentration may not even be viable.

1 Like

WIZ,
You may be entirely correct, although I’m not sure I agree with your assessment completely. Gravimetric concentration will most likely be a viable part of any equation to maximize profits. The premise for AURYN having signed memorandums of understanding with different companies is finding a higher margin alternative over what has been done in the past.There has been no past production by AURYN in the past, unless you are counting the earlier 12.4 ton test shipment from Merlin 1, or the 50 tons that had been stockpiled to be shipped to ENAMI, which did not apparently include the use of gravimetric concentration.

The current tests include gravimetric and chemical assays. If the MOUs do not prove to maximize profitability initially, or at least until a higher volume of ore extracted can be assured, they’ll at least have results of the gravimetric tests that are being performed. January’s notification said the mining team will be preparing the mine for exploitation at the current level and sub-levels. Minor production was expected to occur, but currently has not been announced to have started. If the terms of the MOU can initially be bested by gravimetric concentration alone, without additional chemical or other treatment, then direct shipment to ENAMI would make better sense as a first step, at least until a cash reserve can be built up. Whatever remediation equipment can be rented or purchased that will satisfy the MOU terms could then be obtained as the most efficient way of maximizing profitability.

The offtake deal is definitely MC’s eventual goal, but may not be feasible until all terms of the spec sheet are met. This may first require the additional expense of a fully functioning on-site concentration and processing plant as was being contemplated earlier last year. Because the results of January’s assay result showed 2-6% CU-T, additional processing may be needed. Crushing, grinding, and classifying the raw oxidized gold ore (containing copper) and giving the ore an alkaline treatment may be required to meet MOU terms. We’ll need to hear from management on all this to know what decisions are being made and why.
EZ

2 Likes

Hi Madmen,

The Auryn/Medinah scenario really is a different type of junior mineral explorer/developer/producer type of deal than I’m used to. In prior experiences, if a junior explorer/developer was this close to going into production the PROMO MACHINE would be in high gear. Paid promoters would be shouting from the mountaintops regarding the upcoming commencement of production.

The average management team wouldn’t care if there were a last-minute glitch that forced RECENT investors, that invested due to the proximity of commencing production, to wait longer for their reward. From a typical management member’s point of view, there was a monthly burn rate to service by the selling of shares and PROMOTION was an honorable thing. UNLESS, of course, the timeframe being PROMOTED didn’t come to fruition and RECENT investors inadvertently got misled while management was looking after the financial needs of EXISTING SHAREHOLDERS.

Ten years ago, we shareholders were put through “NEXT WEEK SYNDROME”-the ultimate mode of DECEPTION. What was supposed to happen LAST WEEK, didn’t, so it got pushed forward to NEXT WEEK. Les would take everybody’s calls, and in order to survive an unfriendly call, he would simply move the goal posts to NEXT WEEK and survive the phone call. “Give me a call next week”.

Now, we’ve got Maurizio. Instead of taking calls, he’s busy getting things done. Instead of getting DAILY UPDATES, from the last shareholder getting through to Les on the phone, we get quarterly updates that review the last quarter’s accomplishments and the next quarter’s goals.

In an Auryn press release/update dated 9/21/17, I think we got a glimpse of Maurizio’s thoughts on OVERPROMOTING. This particular update, penned by Maurizio, was basically a tribute to the job Kevin Tupper did while acting as the CEO of Medinah:

“We are always judged by our results, rightly or wrongly.
Value is based on a variety of things. One of them is perception. Perception starts with publicity and promotion. The job of public relations and promotion is to take small achievements and present them in the best possible light to enhance value.
Unfortunately, there are some who abuse this. They blatantly mislead and deceive honest and trusting people by creating a WEB OF LIES. Eventually their lies catch up with them and the result is they end up destroying real value and harming people.
What do you do after that happens? How do you move forward? Someone needs to step up and put honesty back in motion and start undoing the wrong as much as possible and in the best possible way.

For Medinah and its shareholders, Kevin Tupper was that someone. As CEO of Medinah for the last year, Kevin led the effort. He worked diligently and served as a counselor and friend to both AURYN and Medinah. He sacrificed his time and relationships in order to bring a positive result to many shareholders…………”

I think this press release pretty much summarizes Maurizio’s opinion on OVERPROMOTING corporate developments. He’ll avoid it at all costs. First of all, he saw what Les did to people. Secondly, he’s fronting all of the money needed so that Auryn DOESN’T need to service the monthly burn rate by selling shares. That’s why I feel he is from the “UNDERPROMISE AND OVERDELIVER” school of corporate governance. This is why I like that image of Auryn being composed of a network of YET TO BE PROMOTED dominos being lined up only waiting for the lead domino to topple.

At the “informational meeting” in Las Vegas, several years ago, Maurizio made it quite clear what the overall GAME PLAN was. The goal was simply to become a MID-SIZED GOLD PRODUCER. There were no timing guarantees given. Recall, that when the ADL Mining District was being consolidated, it was one of Maurizio’s companies that “donated” into the pot the 3,500 hectares that comprised the Caren/Merlin Veins. He knew, that the SURFACE TRENCH SAMPLING program done there revealed an average of 26 gpt gold (volume weighted), AT SURFACE, averaging 1.35-meters per channel sample. Those kinds of grades being found AT SURFACE are way off the charts and he knew this before telling us that the goal was to become a MID-SIZED GOLD PRODUCER.

He also knew of the HISTORICAL SHIPPING GRADES averaging 64 gpt gold achieved by the artisanal miners mining this same DL2 Vein AT THE SAME SITE THAT AURYN IS ABOUT TO COMMENCE PRODUCTION FROM. Of course, we now know that the top of this stratovolcano is gone due to the levels of explosivity as well as SURFACE EROSION over the course of 91 million years. The CURRENT SURFACE is nowhere near the older “paleosurface” so those 26 gpt grades aren’t nearly as outstanding as one might otherwise think. They’re still off the charts though.

The question of why Auryn doesn’t ship some of its stockpiled ore to ENAMI and pay down some of its debt was again raised today on this forum. We need to keep in mind that there is no interest being charged by Maurizio. If there were interest being charged then this question might be more compelling. Management has already told us that the reason they are dealing with the “International Metals Trader” was to seek a HIGHER MARGIN than that which Enami had offered in the past.

If the party that would be receiving the cash from that sale of ore to Enami (Maurizio) is opting to hold off on shipments, then I think we should honor that decision and not question it. The new parties being dealt with may have already acquired EXCLUSIVITY to our concentrate production. If a certain amount of tonnes of this ore, which is currently stockpiled, can pay off more of this debt by being shipped later, after the process with the HIGHEST RECOVERY RATE AS DETERMINED BY THOSE IN PERU DOING THE METALLURGICAL TESTING is deployed, then why not wait? If anything, this proves Maurizio’s concern for the good of all shareholders and not just himself.

The product of the METALLURGICAL TESTING being done in Peru is a FLOW SHEET. First of all, the particle size of the ore that results in the highest recovery rates will be determined. We don’t know what that particle size is today. Sending ore to Enami of a different particle size will not result in the receiving the HIGHEST MARGIN for the ore.

The FLOW SHEET will tell any party that ends up processing our ore what procedures to do in what order as well as what concentration of the various processing REAGENTS to use to maximize the ECONOMICS. You’re not going to want to pay Enami to do their own METALLURGICAL TESTING when you’ve already paid for it once. A tremendous amount of work goes into developing these FLOW SHEETS. If you’re going to be producing ore for several decades, you might as well get the idealized process down prior to the commencement of shipping.

As far as the METALLURGICAL TESTING being done in Peru, the truth is that different labs have different ISO (INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION) CERTIFICATION RATINGS. If the party that would be buying our ore from the “INTERNATIONAL METALS TRADER” (if they get the contract), insisted on the ore being tested by a lab with a certain ISO CERTIFICATION RATING, then so be it. Many labs aren’t going to go to the time or expense to get CERTIFIED at certain levels if they don’t figure on doing much business with producers that produce that particular type of ore.

Let’s assume that the FLOW SHEET dictates that the maximum recovery rates will be realized by following steps 1 through 10 in that order. After management receives the idealized FLOW SHEET, then the engineers need to sharpen their pencils and figure out which of these 10 steps management wants to accomplish ON SITE and which they should delegate out to other players. The TERM SHEETS submitted by parties wishing to become our offtake partner will help in making that decision. The desires of the end consumer of the concentrate that Auryn produces, which they buy from the offtake partner, will play a significant role in this decision- process. The end consumer would be the party calling the shots if Auryn ends up doing business with this “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER”.

The details of the idealized FLOW SHEET are probably going to be lined up next to the individual terms of any submitted TERM SHEET, in order to determine the best partner for Auryn. The decision-making process is going to get even more complex if a certain party, that might not have the best bid on paper, is willing to give Auryn a CREDIT FACILITY so that they can ramp up production that much quicker which would inure to the benefit of both parties. BOTTOM LINE: MANAGEMENT HAS FULL VISIBILITY OF THE PLAYING FIELD AND OF THE PLAYERS. THEIR FINANCIAL INCENTIVES ARE NICELY CO-ALIGNED WITH OURS. LET’S LET THEM DO THEIR THING. IN THIS INDUSTRY, AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, IS ALL ABOUT THE “SHIPPING GRADES” AND THAT IS THE ONE PARAMETER THAT SETS THIS PROJECT APART FROM THE OTHERS.

6 Likes

Not saying “decades” is what Brecciaboy has factually concluded, but it makes sense to get it right to maximize production HOWEVER long it will last.

[quote=“Baldy, post:536, topic:3097”]
Thanks Baldy for the great reality post.
I had a great belly laugh imagining the *University Students with their sidewalk chalk, drawing cartoon pictures on our mine shaft walls Now “that” was golden, truly golden. C.s.

Hi mrb,

As far as any projections for the LIFE OF MINE (“LOM”) of just the 7 MAIN VEINS at the ADL, I think you might want to treat the 5 main north to south oriented veins, which, from west to east are the Merlin 1, Leopoldo Antonino, Don Enrique, DL2 and Fortuna Este, as well as the 2 main east to west veins, the Merlin 2 and Merlin 3, as one 7-member “VEIN SET” when it comes to any Life Of Mine, ROUGH PRELIMINARY PROJECTIONS. Recall the press release citing that the Auryn geoscientists had concluded that all of these veins are interconnected and interrelated both “spatially” (location) and “temporally” (time of formation).

Mr. b, I have no qualms suggesting that the LIFE OF MINE regarding all of these veins as a whole will PROBABLY be measured in terms of “decades” and not just “years”. To estimate the LIFE OF MINE, you basically divide the estimated ORE BASE, in terms of tonnage, by the EXTRACTION RATE in terms of Tonnes per year. Since we don’t yet have a definitive amount for either variable, any projection would have to be looked upon as a very rough estimate based on the EXISTING DATA which is significant. A variety of ASSUMPTIONS would have to be made in regards to average width and, in the case of CONTAINED OUNCES, the average grades of the various veins. A few years ago, I posted a link to an interview with Eric Sprott, in which he delineated the technique to use in a situation like this when a bankable feasibility study has NOT yet been completed. He suggested using his method, which I’ll go through below, as a SCREENING tool.

The Auryn trenching program, completed in 2015, traced out over 5,000-meters of veins THAT MADE IT ALL OF THE WAY TO SURFACE. The various veins were similarly mineralized at surface as one would expect when dealing with a VEIN SET. We know that the DL2 Vein, responsible for 1,000 of those 5,000 lineal meters, has been traced down the mountain to a depth of 700-meters below the plateau, where it outcrops. MESOTHERMAL VEINS are famous for VERTICAL CONTINUITY to great depths. It takes the tremendous amount of both HEAT and PRESSURE, generated at these depths, to “push” to the surface the hydrothermal fluids and gases, that later cool and crystallize, to become these “veins”.

I think it might be wise to use the DL2 Vein as an example since we know more about this vein than any of the other 6 MAIN VEINS discovered to date at the ADL. The DL2 Vein “strikes” for 1,000-meters at surface. As noted, we know that it extends to a depth of at least 700-meters where it outcrops. Let’s assume that its average width ends up being the same width it had at its intersection with the Antonino Adit i.e. 0.6-meters. This would represent a VOLUME of about 420,000 cubic meters of just vein material, not including any mineralized wall rock. Using the SPECIFIC GRAVITY of our host rock (granodiorite) which is 2.7 tonnes per cubic meter, this would represent about 1.13 million tonnes of ore just within the DL2 Vein itself. Next, you need to estimate the EXTRACTION RATE.

If you assume that, let’s say, in the future, there are an average of 6 working faces being simultaneously mined (3 levels) at the DL2 Vein, and each one has an EXTRACTION RATE of 60 tonnes per day, then the total EXTRACTION RATE would be 360 tonnes per day. Based on 250 workdays per year, this would represent an annual EXTRACTION RATE of about 90,000 tonnes per year. It would thus take about 12.55 years to mine out this one vein IF ALL OF THE ASSUMPTIONS HOLD UP. Likewise, if there were only 2 working faces being mined simultaneously, that LOM estimation would be tripled to about 37 years for just the DL2 Vein.

What might the approximate LIFE OF MINE be for the entire VEIN SYSTEM consisting of 7 MAIN VEINS plus any new veins discovered during exploitation or the 25 new “veins/structures” intersected during the drifting of the Antonino Adit? I have no clue. Given a certain number of tonnes of ore present within a vein, you actually want a SHORT MINE LIFE associated with a HIGH ANNUAL EXTRACTION RATE during which the ore is rapidly removed and sold. WITH THIS OVERALL VEIN COMPLEX, THERE IS PLENTY OF MINE LIFE if the ore is dispersed in a similar fashion to that within the DL2 Vein i.e. homogenous. If you want to talk in terms of the LIFE OF MINE for the entire ADL Mining District, then, of course, that number is going to be much, much higher if the Pegaso Nero and LDM are deemed to be ECONOMIC.

From the data gathered to date, the story on the ADL Mining District does not revolve around LIFE OF MINE-there’s clearly plenty of that. The story here, at least for the VEIN DEPOSIT, revolves around GRADE. Extraordinarily high grades like those featured at the DL2 Vein, result in extraordinarily low ALL IN SUSTAINING COSTS (AISCs) to produce an ounce of gold. This begets extraordinarily HIGH MARGINS per ounce produced. This, in turn, results in calculating TOTAL ANNUAL PROFITS, when compared to lower grade deposits, by multiplying a higher number of OUNCES PRODUCED annually by a larger PROFIT MARGIN per ounce produced. This “MINING MATH” is why, in this industry, the saying is that “GRADE IS EVERYTHING”. The story here is POTENTIAL ECONOMICS.

The next big test for GRADE will be the SHIPPING GRADES for the ore being shipped from the construction of the “gallery” (about 80 tonnes of yet to be sorted or beneficiated “mineralized ore”) as well as the ore stockpiled from the construction of the “ventilation/safety egress chimney” which will be several times that. In essence, the DL2 Vein is IN PRODUCTION now. Both of these sources of DL2 Vein ore were derived from the DL2 Vein material itself and not from merely crossing smaller veins like we saw during the construction of the Antonino Adit. Management has not made it clear yet if the ore currently being stockpiled will be “beneficiated” prior to being shipped. The “COMPREHENSIVE METALLURGICAL TESTING” being done at 2 labs in Peru will dictate the ore recovery methods yielding the best recovery rates.

Due to the fact that the artisanal miners have already produced 2,000 tonnes of ore averaging 64 gpt gold, it’s the grades within the DL2 Vein proper that are the most predictable. You might remember how management encountered about 25 new “veins/structures” during the course of drifting the Antonino Adit prior to finally intersecting the DL2 Vein. They didn’t spend much time chasing them down because the grade of the DL2 ore was much more predictable. These other intersections might represent extensions to the LIFE OF MINE many years from now but by then management will probably have discovered yet new veins while exploiting the sub levels below the Antonino Adit.

The east to west cross-linking of all of these 5, north to south-oriented veins, provided by the Merlin 2 and Merlin 3 veins, is what joins all of these veins into one VEIN SET. In Chile, most of the “VEIN SETS” consist of north to south oriented veins that are parallel to each other. Their grades and widths tend to be similar even if they are not “cross-linked” by other main veins. The VEINS in Chile are usually north to south oriented because the cracks and the faults that later were filled with hydrothermal liquids and became “VEINS”, were north to south oriented due to the SUBDUCTION PROCESS involving the eastward migrating NAZCA OCEANIC TECTONIC PLATE butting heads with the westward migrating SOUTH AMERICAN TECTONIC PLATE and causing extensive faulting of the rocks. These Chilean north to south trending faults include the largest ones like the Atacama and Domeyko Faults.

In his report on the ADL Mining District, Rob Cinits of ACA Howe Ltd. Mining Consultants, stressed that we need to pay special attention to the area where these veins “criss-cross” each other. These represent widened areas of “dilatation” where “boiling” tends to occur and gold grades can increase markedly.

The information that we really want to receive has to do with management’s projections as to how many “working faces” (2 per level) are likely to be simultaneously mined over the next “X” amount of quarters. If you were to graph out “PRODUCTION LEVELS” on the vertical “Y” axis as a function of the number of “WORKING FACES BEING MINED” on the horizontal “X” axis, you might expect a 45-degree line if the processing facilities can keep pace with the ore being delivered to the crushers.

This kind of DYNAMIC GROWTH PROFILE is something that the major and mid-tier miners just can’t replicate. Likewise, if you graph the GRADE OF GOLD being mined as a function of time at any given vein deposit, you’ll see an initial increase in the grade of gold as richer areas are located and selectively mined out. Later, the average GRADE OF GOLD is destined to go down because a lot of the high-grade, “low hanging fruit”, will have already been plucked. Next year, the average grade of gold being mined worldwide is estimated to be only about 3.8 gpt. This figure has been dropping by about 6% per year. The problem is not only the lack of new discoveries but also the inordinate amount of time needed to do all that is necessary to put a new discovery into production. Both of these factors bode well for a new project just going into production.

At the EL PENON MINE, which we’ve been discussing lately on this forum, when Meridian Gold first made the discovery, they were mining very high-grade gold (I believe it was 12-15 gpt gold). Yamana Gold took out Meridian and now (about 30 years later post-discovery) they are mining 4 gpt gold but still making good money at these gold (and silver) prices. Yamana recently sold out to Pan Am silver and Agnico Eagle. The fun times for investors tends to be shortly after the commencement of production, when the DYNAMIC GROWTH PROFILES are present, before they inevitably plateau out, and the highest grade ore is being mined. Before selling out to Pan Am, Yamana recently “right-sized” (down-sized) their production throughput by about 25%.

What today’s junior producers that are just commencing production, have in their favor is the fact that the majors and the mid-tiers have been cranking out a lot of gold production due to the high prices of gold, but they haven’t been able to replenish the ounces mined due to the lack of recent discoveries and the fact that they find themselves digging deeper and deeper while going after lower and lower grade ore. Replacing the number of ounces being produced annually is not just a good idea; it is EXISTENTIAL for the majors and mid-tiers. The timing might seem to be rather fortuitous for a junior miner to be putting a gold/copper project into production.

Make no mistake, Auryn/Medinah still has some work to do. If they haven’t already, they still need to access the “old workings” of the artisanal miners at the DL2 Vein project in order to establish a “ventilation/emergency egress manway/chimney”. This will allow them to commence production from level 3, that of the Antonino Adit. If they haven’t already, they still need to complete a thorough “COMPREHENSIVE METALLURGICAL TESTING” program in order to arrive at the optimal FLOW SHEET resulting in the maximum recovery rates for the sought after metals in their ore.

This program was commenced in Peru about 3 weeks ago at 2 labs chosen by an “INTERNATIONAL METALS TRADER” that had submitted an MOU with an accompanying TERM SHEET outlining the requirements needing to be met for them to purchase the “concentrate” that they wish to purchase from Auryn/Medinah. About all that we know about these requirements is that they included the use of “GRAVITY PLANTS” used to separate gold from the less dense minerals it is found with. This is the least expensive and most environmentally friendly way to separate the gold from the worthless “gangue” that it coexists with.

In order to access the “sub levels” below level 3 of the DL2 Vein project, a “decline spiral” needs to be constructed. It will be located 20-meters NNW of the intersection point of the Antonino Adit and the DL2.

SUMMARY OF EVIDENCE SUGGESTING ATYPICALLY HIGH GRADES

From the data accumulated to date, the hallmark of this particular VEIN SET is not extensive widths or anything like that. It is the extremely high GRADES. The average HISTORICAL SHIPPING GRADES of 64 gpt, based on 2,000 tonnes of production, gave us the first clue that something atypical was present here. This data is from Enami as well as SERNAGEOMIN, both branches of the Chilean government.

This was impressive enough but the reality is that when this mining was done from 1940 to 1970, the only pre-shipping “beneficiation/concentrating” done to augment the grades of the RUN OF MINE ore, was visual sorting. This was so inefficient that the “tailings” (unshipped discards) were running at 14 gpt gold. When the artisanal miners experimented with a crude 4-cell “flotation” system, which removes sulfides, they were able to get the SHIPPING GRADES up to 92 gpt gold. In their last year of operation in 1970, management used an undisclosed “beneficiation” methodology (probably gravity based) which got the SHIPPING GRADE up to 102.7 gpt gold. We’ll have to wait for the details from the “COMPREHENSIVE METALLURGICAL TESTING”, but at least historically the ore at the DL2 Vein has been amenable to conservative “beneficiating” methodologies.

7 Likes

An informed and up-to-date shareholder base will come in handy one day when newbies start knocking on our door - and this is how you get there. The ability to recall all these facts over the years is a HUGE help to this layman - thank you, sir.

4 Likes

Today the U.S. Senate voted 92 to 2 to approve the U.S. Chile TAX Convention.
What does this mean for MDMN, etc.

2 Likes

It looks like lower tax rates and increased access for the U.S. to Lithium.

US Senate advances Chile tax treaty, paving way for ratification | Reuters

Senate tees up final passage of US-Chile tax treaty (yahoo.com)

3 Likes

Below is probably the best article I’ve seen that explains why the junior explorers/developers that are about to commence production represent the “sweet spot” for many investors in the mining industry. I wish the author would have addressed the long-drawn-out nature of the pathway to commencing production a little bit more. It has been and can be absolutely brutal when you’re TOO EARLY.

One analyst whose work I’m familiar with, to the junior explorers operating in a combination of quicksand within a mine field UNTIL they can get a discovery into PRODUCTION. Then, all of a sudden, they find themselves on the German autobahn when they commence production.

I like how the author describes the fact that the category of being a JUNIOR PRODUCER (producing less than 200,000 ounces of gold per year) is typically very short-lived because of what he calls “the churn”. The JUNIOR PRODUCERS have a tendency to ramp up production rapidly and become MID-TIER PRODUCERS or they get taken out by a major miner.

Junior Gold Producers

Adam Hamilton - Zeal Intelligence | October 1, 2010 | 8:26 am Precious Metals Gold

Gold miners come in all shapes and sizes. From large mega-miners to small single-mine operators, these producers each play important roles in the global gold supply chain. Investors are most familiar with the mega-miners, an elite group of producers responsible for a large majority of overall mined supply. But for a variety of reasons investors should not overlook the smaller fish in the pond.

Not only do the small gold miners level the balance of the economic scale, they offer investors incredible opportunities to leverage the fortunes of their underlying metal. This oft-unheralded group operates hundreds of mines that span the globe, many of which have excellent fundamentals. And based purely on their small size, any positive news can send their stocks flying.

For this reason and more, at Zeal we decided to dedicate our latest research project to the contingent of smaller gold miners, or as we call them, junior gold producers. And what we found was an exciting group of stocks poised to take advantage of this secular gold bull.

So what qualifies a gold stock for this junior-producer category? First and foremost, these miners must be producing gold at a commercial scale. After that, it simply comes down to a production-volume threshold. And if you have been at all attuned to the gold-mining arena, you’re likely familiar with the three major categories that all gold miners fall into.

The largest miners are known as the senior, or major, producers. The next group is commonly referred to as the mid-tier, or intermediate, producers. And lastly are the junior producers. Analysts, investors, and executives alike have long categorized gold miners into these three groups.

Now while most can agree on the nomenclature of this three-category breakdown, that’s about it. Depending on who you ask, the thresholds of these categories can vary across a wide spectrum. And since there is no true standard, I’ve fashioned my own guidelines for how to parse out these gold miners.

In order to qualify as a senior producer, a miner must produce at least 1% of the global mined supply of gold. This translates to production volume of at least 750k ozs per year. Since these larger miners are so rare, I’ve seen folks lower the seniordom bar to 500k ozs. I’ve also seen higher thresholds of 1000k or even 2000k ozs. But I believe the latter is unreasonable since there are only a handful at this level, and the former is also unreasonable as it diminishes exclusivity.

Next is the mid-tier producer, and my general rule of thumb (outside of volume) is that this miner is operating multiple gold mines. Usually this criterion translates to production of at least 200k ozs per year, which naturally leaves junior gold producers as those with annual volumes less than 200k ozs.

Now there are obviously exceptions to this rule. There may be a producer with multiple mines producing less than 200k ozs. And there are those producers with a single larger-scale mine producing over 200k ozs. When this is the case I default to raw volume, regardless of the number of operational units. But in general, these rules are very well-encompassing of this industry.

With this 200k-oz threshold, those mining companies falling into the junior-producer category number nearly 100 (trading in the US and Canada). And this group sure is a diverse bunch. On the low end we have tiny miners with market caps around $10m, some producing at rates of less than 10k ozs of gold per year. And on the high side there are those pushing 200k ozs in annual volume, some with market caps in excess of $1000m.

Each of these miners has a unique profile. And though the undertaking of getting to know them was quite cumbersome, it was also quite rewarding. After navigating operations, financials, geopolitics, and management among the many fundamental characteristics I consider when analyzing these stocks, some exciting junior gold producers emerged at the top.

In this process of uncovering the best of the best, one of the first things that stuck out was this group’s geographical diversity. And this was no surprise considering the nature of these junior producers. These smaller miners typically have an appetite for risk, and are not afraid to take on logistical challenges. Interestingly, this mannerism is the antithesis of their more risk-averse counterparts.

When it comes to where the mid-tier and senior producers explore and develop mining operations, they tend to gravitate towards regions with low geopolitical risk and fairly-easy-to-manage geology. And the simple reason for this is their heightened sense of fiduciary duty. These larger miners are much more cognizant of how “the Street” and institutional investors view things, so they naturally suppress their appetite for risk.

While junior producers also seek to be responsible with the capital shareholders have entrusted them with, there isn’t as much pressure on where they apportion their capex. Therefore, these smaller miners are more willing to explore for gold and develop mines in regions that pose higher risks. But with these risks comes the potential for greater rewards.

Some of the world’s finest gold deposits are being mined by these juniors within the remote deserts of west Africa, the rugged terrain of South America’s Andes mountains, the thick rainforests of remote equatorial islands, Eastern Europe’s war-torn Balkans, and the borders of countries notorious for government meddling. Risks don’t always pay off, but by taking risks juniors have been able to successfully tap gold deposits that many of the larger producers wouldn’t have ventured to develop.

While junior producers indeed profitably produce gold all across the globe, within this spread is one particular gold-rich jurisdiction that has seen a bevy of junior-level mines sprout up over the course of gold’s bull. And this heavy geographical concentration is located in one of the world’s most historic precious-metals havens, Mexico.

Mexico’s combination of reasonable mining laws, favorable geology, and rich mining history has made it prime breeding ground for the next generation of quality gold mines. And Zeal’s latest research report embodies this concentration, with half of our dozen favorite stocks operating their flagship mines within this country’s rich PM belts.

Another interesting tidbit I noticed on the location of the mines operated by junior gold producers has to do with selection criteria. Provocatively it is no secret that many of those in search of this yellow metal adhere to the mantra “the best place to find gold is in a gold mine”. And this makes sense. Rather than the tedious, time-consuming, expensive, and low-probability-for-success undertaking of greenfields discovery, why not start looking where gold is already known to exist?

Consequentially the juniors have had smashing success either making discoveries and developing adjacent to historic gold zones, or actually resurrecting operations at past-producing mines. Interestingly over half of the elite junior gold producers that made the cut for our new report are operating gold mines that had once seen past production, with most of the rest mining in areas that had seen historic regional operations.

Domicile and logistics aside, this research also reiterates the importance of quality management, a major ingredient for success for these junior gold producers. By now many of the management teams of today’s premier juniors have already proven their worth as bona-fide mine builders, simply by the fact that they manage producing mines. And if a junior ever hopes to graduate into the mid-tier category, management must maintain that knack for development while also demonstrating the ability to execute savvy acquisitions.

And you’ll find that many of the best junior gold producers are run by executives with very successful track records. In our report, several of the profiled companies are run by folks that had previously grown junior explorers into large mid-tier miners that were acquired for hefty premiums. You’ll also find some of these small miners run by senior-level talent, former executives of some of the world’s largest gold producers. These guys know how to groom and grow gold-mining companies!

One final high-level observation from researching this junior-producer realm that was of particular interest to me, and should be of interest to any investor, has to do with mine maturity. Of the twelve miners profiled in this report, the average age of their flagship mines (from commencement of commercial production or tenure post-acquisition if the mine was already producing) is only three years. And of the six miners on this report that just rolled out new mines in the last two years, the average age is only about ten months.

Why do most of the best junior gold producers happen to be so young in their mining lives? The simple answer has to do with churn, as this junior category usually only serves as a springboard to bigger and better things. The quality companies just don’t seem to last long in this category. They are eventually either acquired by the larger miners, or quickly graduate to the mid-tier category as a result of M&A and/or organic growth.

These two major reasons for lack of category longevity make junior-gold-producer stocks thrilling investments and speculations. Especially since the reasons for leaving this category typically translate to big gains for shareholders. In my years personally trading and analyzing this sector, I’ve found this to be standard protocol for this category of stock.

If I was to update this thread of research two years from now, there is a very high probability that many of today’s quality juniors would not reside in this category for reasons mentioned above. And I’d be willing to bet they’d be replaced by a new generation of juniors molded by some of the same entrepreneurial managers.

On the acquisition front, it is actually quite common for the larger miners to replace reserves and grow operations via M&A rather than organic development. As these larger companies expand their operational portfolios, they naturally focus more on mining and less on exploration. And in order to stay ahead of the curve and manage risk, they’d rather acquire those juniors that have already conquered risk and successfully developed gold deposits. A lot of M&A happens within this junior category.

On the growth front, investors can find a lot of excitement in these junior producers. With most of them operating a single mine, the prospect of expansion or the addition of a second operation can really get a stock moving. Any positive news on discovery and development is a huge boon for juniors, whereas the same news for their mid-tier and senior counterparts is not likely to be as moving.

Simply put, it is a lot harder for positive news to move a $3000m, $10,000m, or $20,000m stock than a $350m (average market cap of all junior producers in our pool) or $770m (average of the twelve stocks profiled in the new report) stock. Just for illustration purposes, say a miner either decides to develop a new mine, approves the expansion of an existing mine, or makes a significant discovery. Which category of stock do you think would be most affected by such news?

News like this for a senior or even mid-tier producer operating multiple mines would be positive, but it wouldn’t translate into huge upside movement for the stock. Going from 7 to 8 mines, or even 3 to 4 mines, would not have as much of a strategic impact as going from 1 to 2 mines. Pushing through a mine expansion, while good, is also not a strategic game-changer for the larger miners. And while making a significant discovery is always a bonus for any miner, all it would do for the larger miners is add to an already-sizeable portfolio of exploration and development projects.

In contrast is your junior producer, operating only one mine while holding a small pipeline of generative projects. Going from 1 to 2 mines, expanding operations at its flagship mine, or making a huge discovery is a lot-bigger of a deal. This type of news typically sends junior-level stocks flying.

Such positive newsflow would indeed create differential buying pressure for the larger miner, but based on its larger market cap its stock would only move marginally higher. As for the junior producer, with its much smaller size even just a little differential buying pressure can shoot its stock higher at a much faster clip.

4 Likes

An oldie but goodie. :point_up: Things haven’t changed that much over more than a decade. Seems senior producer definition today is indeed pretty much accepted to produce 500K oz/yr with a resource size of 5M oz. Down sized like everything else. :upside_down_face:
I really liked the sentence concluding the article!

2 Likes

Well boys - and girls (respect due to MDMNJaded):

Today is obviously the last day of the month, so we ought to be getting some kind of update as to “progress” (hopefully) pretty soon.

Lots of possibilities:

Results of metallurgical tests - with plan for processing/beneficiation?
Purchase of new equipment which may be needed?
Deal on off-take MOU (with term paper attached, maybe stimulated some competition amongst other off-takers)?
Status of other properties?
Thoughts on LDM/PDN?

In all fairness, could be some not-do-good news too - the samples submitted to the Peruvian labs could have been fools gold or just plain maneure. Bwahahahahahaha! Personally, I think the doubters are gonna be eating a large dose of … crow. Soon.

Y’all have a nice 4th!

Bubba

4 Likes

Yes - and I like a couple other things this author said:

(1) “Standard protocol” in this guy’s experience that a junior producer with ONE mine is either bought-out by a major or graduates to a mid-tier (greater then 200k ounces per year), and

(2) Going from one to TWO mines is where the price appreciation happens.

Maybe I’m wrong, but my numbers tell me that assuming 95 tons per day of 74 gpt gold, four working faces, and a 90% recovery rate, we could be right there at 200 oz per year pretty quick. But, I think 74 gpt might be some kind of record - unless you count the fact that the artisanal miners have a track record of doing just that over some 30 years (and more - cf. 102 gpt?).

Q2 2021 – OBJECTIVES

Material with grades over 25 g/t Au will be shipped to one location for direct smelting. Grades below 25 g/t Au will be sent to a second location for flotation processing.

I think this is still the plan. Call it a WAG if you like. Using gravimetric plants for the concentration and recovery of free milling gold in AURYN’s ore from the Don Luis vein will be deemed feasible as a 1st step in shipping ore direct to ENAMI, or perhaps Lampa (wasn’t there a processor used there in the past?). Tailings will be sorted and stored for shipping to meet term sheets of a favored minerals trader to chemically treat and use flotation processing to recover remaining gold and hi content CU. This is what I expect shareholders will see as the quickest and most efficient way to maximize profits as full production rolls out.
EZ

3 Likes

Like to see the conversion be finalized so we actually feel complete!

5 Likes

Jakeman,
We’d all like to see, sooner than later, our AUMC shares allocated from our MDMN shares occurring right away. However, IMO, I don’t see conversion happening until after full mining exploitation results in reported production figures allowing some projection of future cash flow.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend everyone.
EZ

3 Likes

Happy 4th to all!