Auryn/Medinah - 2020 - 2nd Half General Discussion

FEATURE

There’s Not Enough Copper for a Green Wave. Buy These Miners, Says Jefferies.

The copper market is facing demand from all sides, including the move toward cleaner energy. Here are some mining stocks that are poised to benefit.

The shift to renewable energy is here and only getting stronger, and investors can’t seem to get enough of it. But the industry faces a big problem: it’s heavily reliant on copper and there is a shortage.

So note analysts at Jefferies, who lay out a scenario of big demand for copper, alongside miners poised to benefit, in a recent note to clients. “Based on our analysis, the copper market is headed into a multiyear period of deficits, in part due to secular demand in renewable energy and EVs [electric vehicles],” say a team led by Christopher LaFemina.

The analysts predict higher prices are coming and will “lead to substitution to other materials,” needed to bring the market to balance.

That growing demand has had two key sources. The first, a shift from coal and gas power to wind and solar, works in copper’s favor because those systems require five times more copper than conventional ones. For example, offshore wind takes around 15 metric tons per megawatt of installed capacity, while onshore wind and solar take around 5 metric tons and conventional power one.

The analysts expect copper demand in renewable energy to rise from 991 kilotons in 2020 to 1.9 megatons in 2030.

The other source of copper consumption is electric vehicles, which take around 83 kilograms on average, while charging points need 10 kilograms of copper. LaFemina expects copper demand will rise to 1.7 megatons in 2030 from 170 kilotons in 2020.

In their bear case for copper itself, the analysts see the market “adequately supplied until 2025 before deficits kick in,” but even so the path of least resistance is higher for the metal. “If our assumptions are correct, the squeeze higher in copper is a question of ‘when’ rather than ’if,’ they say.

“The price at which the demand elasticity is great enough to balance the market depends on the magnitude of the implied deficits, but in our base and bull case scenarios it is not unreasonable to assume the copper price would rise to at least $5.00 per pound for an extended period before demand would adjust enough to balance the market. This point is very much underappreciated, in our view,” say the analysts.

As for stocks to play this copper demand, Jefferies upgraded Antofagasta (ticker: ANTO.UK) and Glencore (GLEN.UK) to Buy from Hold, and reiterated Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) and First Quantum Minerals (FM.Canada) as top picks. Other miners with bullish ratings are BHP Group (BHP), Rio Tinto (RIO), and Vale (VALE).

Email: editors@barrons.com

5 Likes

AUMC Financials out

Still have enough $21 for that pizza

No subsequent events.

Thank you Cordoba!

They are saving those funds for our Xmas card! It’s vital to our business operations you know. :rofl:

:joy: I am still waiting for last years :pensive:

Does it come of surprise that Hochschid is not mentioned on the subsequent events? Are they still on the property?

From Section 5 of the Disclosure Report:

The Company signed a binding Letter of Intent (“LOI”) with Hochschild Mining PLC during 3rd Q 2018, for the Las Dos Marias (“LDM”) project. Hochschild performed various field works and an IP Geophysical survey. Hochschild did not perform any drilling however it has recommended the Company should undertake a small 3-hole program in order to evaluate the potential or lack thereof. The Company is exploring opportunities to raise funds to complete this drilling program, in the way of private financing, equity, share issuance or rights offering. During the Covid-19 pandemic all activity in the area has been suspended.

1 Like

Also Section 5:

Activity at the Fortuna site has consisted of draining water from historic underground workings, removing thick layers of mud, upgrading the wooden supports as required and accessing the veins. Work has continued to expose the vein along strike and at lower levels. The COVID-19 pandemic has slowed advancements and in certain cases stopped activity altogether. The current focus of the company is La Fortuna. Gold ore has been remove from the mine. Raising funds to increase production and for possible more exploration is being reviewed. A new adit or access point is planned to increase production, improve ventilation and safety.

2 Likes

Thank you CHG! I guess I was focusing on the subsequent events paragraph and assets. Are we producing? They mentioned they removed gold ore

1 Like

Obviously the issue is money as is the case with many juniors. Whatever happened with the Caren, whether safety requirements or whatever, one can safely guess that it involves more money to get going than AUMC has available. Fortuna is the easiest target apparently for very limited production.

The Hochschild news is disappointing. I wonder if they abandoned the JV altogether or are just waiting till it expires in case they change their mind. Basically they didn’t want to spend $7M so far to get 51% of the LDM. It’s hard to see how those terms could still be in place when they say to the company: why don’t you drill 3 holes first and let us know how that goes.

1 Like

They do say “increase production.” One might guess we are talking about buckets of ore, i.e. very limited amounts.

Potentially if Masglas can raise some funds by going public maybe that will be come a source of capital.

3 Likes

Thank you again! A lot of unanswered questions. 2 years of waiting for IP study and Sillitoe report shows the LDM wasn’t worth what was in the JV agreement. Hope I am wrong.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 Likes

How much did they take out and cash in on?
For all we know they hit a mother load.
No transparency

1 Like

So Hochschild expects us to raise money and dilute our equity to drill 3 holes so they can decide if they want to go forward with our agreement with them.

Impact for us:

If we agree and spend the money and it results in positve results, Hoch then spends the $7million and they get 51% but our 49% is now diluted down to what?

If the results are not positive Hoch backs out and we have diluted ourselves for no benefit.

Win win for Hoch

Lose lose for us.

That was the whole purpose of offering 51% to Hoch in the first place. they risk THEIR money. Its their gamble not ours!

Screw that!!!

5 Likes

That was why I speculated that it seems unlikely the JV terms are in place any longer. The text does not make it explicitly clear that this is the case. But as you point out, the JV terms make no sense if the company has to fund 3 exploration holes before H. would spend any more. It seems more likely the JV has terminated. At the same time the text sounds like the company would like to follow H’s suggestion of 3 drill holes.

2 Likes

you could have thrown blind darts at the stock board this year and come up with winners. the ADL comedia trágica is, IMO at this point, priceless.

shares: drawer…

assume lawn chair position.

see you guys next year, because it’s early summer on the mountain and doesn’t look like any progress is going to be made

They better hurry.

https://masglas.com/

3 Likes

At the speed they are working that must be a miss print. Should read end of 2030.

By all accounts (admittedly anecdotal), we’re sitting on a FORTUNE of mineralization, and our guys don’t seem to be able to make this thing move. Is Hochschild no longer excited? Or, has the Covid prejudiced their financial ability to engage in exploration activities? Seems like the price of gold being high would put them in a better place? I’m starting to think my client who told me he would NEVER invest in a business in South America because of all the corruption was right. Criticize me if you will, but a small part of me is also starting to long for the days of the higher share prices when Les was at the helm. Really. No kidding.

ATTENTION MANAGEMENT: Gold is through the roof, the US dollar is going to the cellar, and it ain’t looking good going forward - so gold should go even higher. NOW IS THE TIME TO EITHER $HIT OR GET OFF THE POT!

NOTE TO FILE: Every time I make a post like this, brecciaboy is thoroughly successful in convincing me of how good things are. Maybe he’s right, but sometimes ya just gotta blow some steam …

2 Likes

I am kicking myself in the ass for investing another 3 million shares 3 months ago. Now staring at a another loss on top of what I already have. I guess even listening to Solar got me in trouble.

Let’s see if Cordoba has the balls to give us an update to close out 2020 and what we can expect for 2021

3 Likes

I could double my share ownership with $440. And sorry, can’t even think about doing it. Just a thought from your post.

Good luck…to all of us.

Told my wife even if it got to 0.20…I would be dancing in the streets.
TDK.

1 Like