Auryn/Medinah - 2023 1st Half General Discussion

Hello Baldy. I read BB’s post regarding MINING MATH and calculations a few days ago. I’ll never hit you below the belt with personal jabs, but what you post is fair game. And I don’t want to flat-out say you are wrong, but … ok, I won’t say it. :zipper_mouth_face:

Based on your recent post about BB and claims of pie-in-the-sky predictions, I don’t think you actually read that same post I’m speaking of. He made no predictions. He was not promoting astronomical estimates. He played around with the variables as an example for us. Of course, there could be other unexpected variables, too. He inferred that IF the values are as good as we hope, then we might want to experiment with the various figures as they are disclosed and calculate for ourselves as we wait for production.

Unless I’m missing something, BB’s specific post about Mining Math was very helpful. No hard feelings, John.

2 Likes

Every one is allowed their opinion. I can’t provide a counter argument to every one of BB’s posts b/c most are the same and I receive flack when I do.

I take some solace in that he has stopped talking about dividends which he has predicted for the past ten years. I don’t even take issue with his enthusiam for the prospects of the mountain. My main gripe is that he likes to use colorful geo dribble to explain this asset and yet, I say this with certainty, this project is soooooo early days that any of the projections he refers to are nothing more than wild arss guesses. This is why his “hit rate” is zero. “The sampling details offered by the company PROVE the ASTRONOMICAL historical shipping grades.” This is pure nonesense. The company has yet to release a formal assay (fact). The historical shipping grades are also irrelevant b/c we don’t know if the artisenal miners were simply picking out the super high grade material to ship and leaving the rest of the low/no grade material. Based on the extremely small sample set of tons over an extended period this would seem to be the case.

As Cornhusker points out, the reason why the “assays” from AUMC are so high is b/c they don’t include the uneconomic ore that is blended with the high grade when doing the actual mining. If this company consistently delivers 60gpt (not a grab sample but actually mines at this grade) I will eat my foot and never post here again. But it ain’t going to happen.

Twenty years ago when I first invested in MDMN I read BB’s post with great enthusiasm: “here’s a guy who knows what he’s talking about, what could go wrong.” I’m not claiming that everything he posts is factually incorrect but, after investing in the space over the past decade I now know that if BB sat in a room with actual geo’s and savvy investors he’d get laughed out of the room. The share price actually confirms this sentiment (fact).

Another example: how many times has this company gotten investors in a frenzy after signing an MOU? These agreements mean nothing until they are binding and I know the offtake world very well. No legitimate offtaker would require taking the material to another lab in another county for testing. Nor would any legitimate offaker engage with a company who can’t even produce a mine plan (fact). Nor would any legitimate offtaker take a concentrate produced from a simple gravimetric process.

I envy people who are natural optimists UNLESS its applied to investing. In this case Les doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, people need to question why Hothschild who had a free ticket to monetize the mountain punted on the agreeement, there needs to be concerns about stockpiling 100gpt+ material after the company bought a brand new truck and could be offsetting the costs to find the DL vein (three times), why doesn’t AUMC distribute the shares (now 2x as expensive). The worst thing anyone can do is come up with an optimistic predction or forecast and then, when its missed over and over and over, generate another positive spin as an excuse.

Mining is tough, they are doing their best, there’s absolutely no need for a cheeleader to perpetually set an unacheivable bar that’s never been met. It’s bad for investors who initate or add or hold onto their losing positions and its bad for the company who can’t possibly meet their false expectations.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Did you really mean after the next 5 posts?
:frowning_face:
… or I must’ve missed that “next company update”!

2 Likes

Great comic relief Brad. :hugs: Between your imaginative narratives and those provided by Baldy :yawning_face:, I can’t choose who has been more entertaining! Everyone gets a good laugh out of a grown man’s tantrums :face_with_hand_over_mouth:, but a good humored story like your last one,The Greatest Mining Story Ever Told, is certainly more entertaining!
Thanks a million for entertaining while we wait!
EZ

5 Likes

Thanks Baldy for some reality to what has happened in the last 20 years… You make some points THAT CAN be agreed on in your latest post.

:Another example: how many times has this company gotten investors in a frenzy after signing an MOU? These agreements mean nothing until they are binding and I know the offtake world very well. No legitimate offtaker would require taking the material to another lab in another county for testing. Nor would any legitimate offaker engage with a company who can’t even produce a mine plan (fact). Nor would any legitimate offtaker take a concentrate produced from a simple gravimetric process.

I envy people who are natural optimists UNLESS its applied to investing. In this case Les doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, people need to question why Hothschild who had a free ticket to monetize the mountain punted on the agreeement, there needs to be concerns about stockpiling 100gpt+ material after the company bought a brand new truck and could be offsetting the costs to find the DL vein (three times), why doesn’t AUMC distribute the shares (now 2x as expensive). The worst thing anyone can do is come up with an optimistic predction or forecast and then, when its missed over and over and over, generate another positive spin as an excuse.

These are some questions :::: That could be answered by any side of the fence… But just answered… Thanks Baldy

Really CS, I gave you more credit than your last post deserves! :upside_down_face:
Everyone here fully realizes that Baldy has no “skin in the game” here. Baldy actually took a substantial calculated tax loss to put against gains in other investments quite some time ago as he promised to drop by from time to time to see how we were doing. Only once, to my recollection, has Baldy offered any advice regarding his “wiser than thou” investments in other mining companies, many of which have been contributed on other threads here over the years by frequent posters. Nevertheless, he has given some insight into his investment acumen in the following statement indicating how he would treat this and other investments.

I would only expect such a statement from a hedge fund manager wishing to influence and discourage shareholders from holding a position in a company. Surely Baldy wasn’t looking to buy MDMN shares or AUMC shares on the cheap by making such a statement. He has assured us repeatedly he would not consider such a thing because he’ll wait until the goods are on the table. :slightly_smiling_face: Now, in thanking all the good points Baldy has made over the past 20 years (yes, there are a number of shareholders that have been around since 2004, anyway) you state:

I would like to draw your attention to the following facts, in case you forgot or think it unimportant, to the following post and point out:

Skeena shareholders are very happy to have the SNIP project back on their books. " The Snip project is a past-producing mine that Skeena acquired from Barrick Gold in 2017 . The operation churned out about one million ounces of gold between 1991 and 1999 at an average gold grade of 27.5 g/t. Since then, the project has been improved with the recent construction of nearby infrastructure and substantially higher gold prices." (https://www.miningweekly.com/article/hochschild-pulls-plug-on-skeenas-snip-option-2023-04-05)

Now, I find it very interesting that Isac Burstein is back having a second look at what the ADL may have to offer in his capacity as a new BOD member. What has he already learned about deposits contained within the ADL that had him interested enough to come back? Presumably he had a good look at the internal report prepared by Richard Sillitoe.

So allow me to generate another positive spin but NOT as an excuse. Mr Burstein is multilingual, has an intimate knowledge of the geology a potential JV partner may be interested in, and the “legwork” concerning what would be needed for the copper component in the PN is already in the works. Also, admittedly conjecture on my part, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of shallow open pit mines across the ADL if it can be shown there are substantial horizontal sheets of CU Super Enrichment zones indicated by the hi copper content of the last assay results. Or maybe, something like what Lion One is proposing could work on the ADL?

I’d also surmise, using a concentrator that can amplify the gold content of the ore (including fine gold) 100X would not destroy all the associated CU of such a concentrate that would be direct shipped to ENAMI for processing. Direct shipment after some kind of beneficiation process is most likely. I also recall that ENAMI will give a CU credit for any gold ore processed that averages 2.5% CU. Just something management might be thinking about in putting their bootstrapped strategic mining plans together.
EZ

9 Likes

Well to whom it may concern;
I have a tendency to go along with the not to optimistic posters on this board sometimes. This might raise a eyebrow, as to why?
My answer; They tend to bring up some of the same questions I’ve heard, from associates and friends, that know something about mining itself, or investing in mining sectors,
or just invest in the stock market in general.
This is after they have looked into a mining concession I’ve told them about down in Chile.
During this time, I have never found any that owned it before
I mentioned it, or purchased it themselfs after doing their own research.
I wonder why…? C.s.

Perspective!
Perspective!
Depends on what you are aware of.
I like unusual investment opportunities.

2 Likes

Wow! 84 posts since my last visit! Does anyone feel like they know any more than they did 84 posts ago? I don’t. Cya’ll in another 84!

:stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Here are some quotes from the most recent Auryn quarterly update. I tend to trust the contents of Press Releases because I know that there can be consequences for management members that willfully mislead the investing public. I’m going to do a line-by-line analysis of this PR. My comments will be in CAPITAL LETTERS so that there can be no mistaking my thoughts from the words of management. I have heard that using CAPITAL LETTERS is found offensive to some, so I apologize in advance to those people.

On this forum, I think I’ve witnessed only one comment citing how Maurizio stood out as somebody willing to work with the University of San Sebastian in providing externships and thereby giving back (or perhaps “paying forward”) to the industry he participates in. This is very true, but I sense that if you read between the lines, you might discover that Auryn is appearing to be playing an interesting role in the obvious direction that this industry is heading, i.e. towards mandated environmentally responsible mining and the following of “ESG” protocols. Recent revelations almost indicate that they’ve been serving in some type of “poster child” role for this movement.

I started noticing this when Maurizio recently stated that he was considering deploying solar-powered mining equipment at the DL2 Mine. In the last quarterly update, all of a sudden it is revealed that various Chilean Mining Ministers were touring around the DL2 Mine while singing the praises of Auryn using technological advances and following the most stringent ESG policies. How did the Chilean Mining Ministers single out our project? In that same update, it was revealed that little old Auryn, was chosen to host a series of workshops which covered topics like the use of more environmentally friendly explosives and other technological advances. One of Auryn’s employees was interviewed and told of how excited he was to share the technology that Auryn is deploying with other industry participants.

In that same update we learned of how Auryn was receiving MEMORANDUMS OF UNDERSTANDING (MOUs), at least one with an attached TERM SHEET, from parties wishing to purchase the metal “concentrate” that Auryn would be producing. The attached mandate was that Auryn had to use the most environmentally friendly of all “beneficiation” methodologies (gravimetric plants using centrifuges to separate the gold from the waste material) as part of the agreement. Except for that one comment by Maurizio about solar-powered mining equipment, I didn’t see any of this coming. Apparently, a lot has been going on since Auryn finally, after many delays, intersected the DL2 Vein via the Antonino Adit.

HERE ARE SOME QUOTES FROM THE MOST RECENT QUARTERLY UPDATE AND SOME THOUGHTS

“AURYN has signed memorandums of understanding with different companies to find a higher margin alternative over what has been done in the past.”

INTERPRETATION: AURYN KNOWS WHAT ENAMI’S TERMS ARE AND THEY’RE OPENING UP A BIDDING PROCESS TO BEAT ENAMI’S TERMS. THE FACT THAT SEVERAL DIFFERENT COMPANIES HAVE SUBMITTED MOUs IMPLIES (BUT DOES NOT NECESSARILY 100% CONFIRM) THAT THESE COMPANIES ARE PROBABLY UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE COMMENCEMENT OF PRODUCTION IS NOT TOO FAR AWAY. AURYN STILL HAS TO INTERSECT THE “OLD WORKINGS” VIA THE CONSTRUCTION OF A “VENTILATION/SAFETY EGRESS CHIMNEY. THIS WILL PROVIDE A SAFE WORKING ENVIRONMENT TO MINE THE DL2 VEIN SINULTANEOUSLY FROM SEVERAL SUB-LEVELS BELOW THE NEW LEVEL 3. IT IS TRUE THAT MOUs ARE OFTEN NOT LEGALLY BINDING. THEY ARE, HOWEVER, AN IMPORTANT FIRST STEP IN BUSINESS NEGOTIATIONS IN WHICH THE POTENTIAL PARTIES TO A DEAL CAN CLEARLY ARTICULATE THEIR INTENT AND WHAT THEY PERCEIVE THE INTENT OF THE CONTRAPARTY TO BE.

IF THE PARTY SUBMITTING THE MOU HAS CLEARLY SPENT SOME MONEY ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUBMISSION OF THE MOU AND ANY DUE DILIGENCE SURROUNDING THAT MOU AND AN ACCOMPANYING TERM SHEET, THEN THERE PROBABLY IS SOME LEGITIMATE INTEREST, BUT THERE CAN BE NO GUARANTEES AS TO A BINDING CONTRACT BEING ENTERED INTO.

“The most promising of these MOUs includes a term sheet with an international minerals trader who is interested in purchasing ore concentrate from AURYN’s production.”

INTERPRETATION: AN MOU WITH AN ATTACHED TERM SHEET IS A LITTLE BIT FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD THAN JUST AN MOU. DELINEATING THE TERMS OF A TERM SHEET, HOWEVER, TAKES A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DUE DILIGENCE IN ORDER TO IDENTIFY AND ADDRESS THE VARIOUS MOVING PARTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ANTICIPATED BUSINESS DEAL.

THE PRODUCT THE “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER” WANTS TO PURCHASE IS A “CONCENTRATE”. THIS IMPLIES THAT SOME “BENEFICIATION” METHODOLOGY IS TO BE DEPLOYED TO INCREASE THE GRADE OF THE “RUN OF MINE” ORE BY REMOVING IMPURITIES. SO FAR, THIS PARTICULAR MOU WITH AN ATTACHED TERM SHEET SEEMS TO MANAGEMENT, AT LEAST AT THE TIME OF THE UPDATE, TO BE “PROMISING”. WHO KNOWS IF A BETTER BID HAS SURFACED BY NOW OR NOT? THE PARTY SUBMITTING THE MOU WITH THE ATTACHED TERM SHEET IS TECHNICALLY AN “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER” WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT IMPLY SOME SIZE TO THEM.

THE PURCHASER OF A METAL CONCENTRATE WOULD HAVE SEVERAL OPTIONS. THEY COULD SELL THE CONCENTRATE TO A ROASTING FACILITY, TO A “PRESSURE OXIDATION” PLANT, TO A “BIOX” PLANT OR PERHAPS TO A COPPER OR COPPER/GOLD SMELTER. NOWADAYS, A FAIR PERCENTAGE OF THE METAL CONCENTRATES BOUGHT AND SOLD INTERNATIONALLY END UP IN CHINA AT ONE OF THEIR RECENTLY REFURBISHED SMELTERS. APPROXIMATELY 12% OF THE METALS BOUGHT AND SOLD INTERNATIONALLY ARE IN THE FORM OF A “METAL CONCENTRATE”. IF YOU NEED THE SERVICES OF AN “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER” THEN PERHAPS THERE MIGHT BE A VARIETY OF CONCENTRATES LIKELY TO BE PRODUCED BY AURYN THAT MIGHT BE SENT IN SEVERAL POSSIBLE DIRECTIONS. IF IT WAS ALL DESTINED TO GO TO A SMELTER, THEN AURYN MIGHT PREFER TO DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE SMELTER AND ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN. THIS IS, OF COURSE, UNLESS THE MIDDLE MAN OFFERS OTHER SERVICES OF INTEREST TO THE CORPORATION SELLING THE CONCENTRATE.

IF THIS “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER” HAD ALL KINDS OF CONNECTIONS WITHIN THE MINING INDUSTRY OR WITHIN THE FINANCIAL INDUSTRY, THEN THIS PARTY MIGHT BE WILLING TO DESIGN A “WIN-WIN” SITUATION IN WHICH THEY WOULD ALLOW THE “FORWARD SALE” OF FUTURE CONCENTRATE FLOW IN ORDER THAT AURYN COULD QUICKLY RAMP-UP PRODUCTION SO THAT BOTH AURYN AND THE TRADER COULD BENEFIT BY INCREASING THE TONNAGE OF CONCENTRATE BEING BOUGHT AND SOLD BETWEEN THE 2 PARTIES. THE RISK OF A “FORWARD SALE” LIKE THIS MIGHT BE DE MINIMIS FOR THE TRADER ADVANCING THE FUNDS SINCE THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE CONCENTRATE FLOW TO HEDGE THEIR RISK AND THEY WOULD KNOW IF AURYN WAS APT TO GENERATE SIGNIFICANT CASH FLOW FROM THE MINING OPERATION.

A COMMENT MADE BY MAURIZIO BACK WHEN THE PLAN WAS TO FIRST PUT THE LARRISSA ADIT/MERLIN 1 VEIN INTO PRODUCTION HAS STUCK IN THE BACK OF MY MIND EVER SINCE. HE STATED THAT THE PLAN WAS TO PUT 6 LEVELS BELOW THE LARRISSA ADIT AS WELL AS 7 LEVELS ABOVE THIS ADIT INTO SIMULTANEOUS PRODUCTION. I DON’T BELIEVE HE HAS MENTIONED HOW MANY SUB-LEVELS BELOW LEVEL 3 (THAT OF THE ANTONINO ADIT) ARE BEING PLANNED TO HAVE SIMULTANEOUSLY MINED BUT AT THIS POINT NOTHING WOULD SURPRISE ME ESPECIALLY IF SOLAR-POWERED EQUIPMENT MIGHT BE INVOLVED.

“This will require AURYN to use a particular approach to concentrating the ore using gravimetric plants.”

INTERPRETATION: IF THE TRADER “INSISTS” ON AURYN USING GRAVIMETRICS, WHICH IS THE CLEANEST AND “GREENEST” OF ALL BENEFICIATION SYSTEMS, THEN I’M GOING TO ASSUME THAT AURYN’S OPERATIONS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO QUALIFY AS A “GREEN MINING PROJECT”.

THERE HAVE BEEN MASSIVE CHANGES IN THE MINING WORLD WITHIN THE LAST 10 OR SO YEARS. MINING HAS ALWAYS BEEN LOOKED AT AS A SOMEWHAT “DIRTY” INDUSTRY. A LOT OF FOSSIL FUELS ARE BURNED DURING THE MINING AND SHIPPING PROCESS. HARSH CHEMICALS LIKE CYANIDE, SULFURIC ACID AND MERCURY ARE OFTEN USED TO SEPARATE THE SOUGHT-AFTER METALS FROM THE WASTE MATERIAL. GOVERNMENTS ARE CLAMPING DOWN ON ENVIRONMENTALLY UNFRIENDLY PRACTICES. THE GOVERNMENTS HAVE IMMENSE POWER BECAUSE THEY RUN THE PERMITTING PROCESSES GOVERNING THE EXTRACTION OF THE METALS IN THEIR COUNTRY. THIS HAS CREATED PROBLEMS FOR THE MINERS PRACTICING “DIRTY MINING” BUT IMMENSE OPPORTUNITIES FOR THOSE PRACTICING ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE MINING. THE CATCH PHRASE NOWADAYS SUMMARIZING THESE CONCEPTS IS “ENVIRONMENT, SOCIAL, GOVERNANCE” OR “ESG”.

GOVERNMENTS ARE BEING PRESSURED TO LIMIT MINING ACTIVITIES TO THOSE INDUSTRY PARTICIPANTS WILLING AND ABLE TO ADOPT CERTAIN “ESG” PRINCIPLES. THE GOVERNMENT WANTS NOT ONLY CLEAN MINING BUT THEY WANT THE COMMUNITIES WHERE THE OPERATIONS ARE LOCATED TO BE TREATED WELL AND THEY WANT THE EMPLOYEES OF THE PRODUCER TO BE TREATED FAIRLY. INDIVIDUAL MINING CORPORATIONS ARE BEING PRESSURED BY BOTH GOVERNMENTS AS WELL AS THEIR OWN SHAREHOLDERS TO ADOPT STRICT “ESG” POLICIES. MANY INVESTORS WILL SELL THEIR SHARES IN A CORPORATION UNWILLING TO FOLLOW THESE PRINCIPLES. THE FLIP SIDE OF THAT IS ALSO TRUE. MANY INVESTORS WILL SEEK OUT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN MINERAL PRODUCERS THAT DO STRICTLY ADHERE TO “ESG” PROTOCOLS. I THINK I CAN SENSE A MARKETING OPPORTUNITY HERE.

THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE IN VARIOUS ESG-ETFs (Environmental, Social, Governance Exchange Traded Funds) THAT MANDATE THAT ANY PROJECT THEY INVEST IN OR WILL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH, BE CERTIFIED AS A “GREEN MINING PROJECT” IN WHICH THE “ESG” PROTOCOLS ARE STRICTLY ADHERED TO. THERE ARE A LOT OF TAX CREDITS AVAILABLE TO THESE PROJECTS. CERTAIN LEVELS OF CARBON EMISSIONS OR THE LEVEL OF THE CARBON FOOTPRINT MIGHT BE MANDATED DURING THE MINING PROCESS. SOMETIMES “RENEWABLE ENERGY CERTIFICATES” ARE ALSO INVOLVED. THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY IS NOW HEADED IN THIS DIRECTION.

FOR A NEW PRODUCER, GAINING COMPLIANCE WITH THESE EDICTS IS GOING TO BE A WHOLE LOT EASIER THAN FOR A VETERAN PRODUCER WHOSE EQUIPMENT OR PRACTICES ARE SOMEWHAT “OLD SCHOOL” FROM AN ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY POINT OF VIEW. PERMITTING ISSUES CAN BE EXPEDITED BY “GOING GREEN” RIGHT FROM THE GET-GO.

YOU MIGHT REMEMBER HOW THE VARIOUS MINING MINISTERS THAT RECENTLY VISITED THE DL2 VEIN PROJECT WERE SINGING THE PRAISES OF AURYN FOR THEIR “TECHNOLOGICAL AND ESG” ACCOMPLISHMENTS. AURYN’S GEOSCIENTISTS ARE EVEN GIVING “WORKSHOPS” TO INDUSTRY PARTICIPANTS IN SANTIAGO DESCRIBING HOW TO USE MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS SUPPORTING “ESG” COMPLIANCE. I DON’T THINK MANY OF US INVESTORS COULD FORESEE MINING MINISTERS TOURING OUR FACILITIES OR OUR GEOSCIENTISTS LEADING “ESG” WORKSHOPS. THE SAME GOES WITH HOW MAURIZIO EMBRACED THE UNIVERSITY OF SAN SEBASTIAN’S MINING ENGINEERING AND GEOSCIENCES DEPARTMENTS WITH OPEN ARMS.

“To ensure that AURYN can meet the terms of the agreement with the minerals trader, a 120 kg (304 pounds) sample of the ore has been sent to two different specialist labs in Peru for comprehensive testing.”

INTERPRETATION: WHY 2 LABS? I DON’T KNOW. IF THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY INVOLVED IN THIS POTENTIAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AURYN AND THE INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER, THEN PERHAPS ALL TESTING MIGHT WANT TO BE CORROBORATED BY A SECOND SOURCE WITH DIFFERENT QA/QC PROTOCOLS. APPARENTLY, THE TERM SHEET MANDATED THAT THE ORE OR PERHAPS THE MINING PROCESS BE SOMEHOW “CERTIFIED” AS PER THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT. PERHAPS THE 2 LABS IN PERU HAVE BEEN PRE-QUALIFIED TO OFFER THIS “CERTIFICATION” PROCESS. IT’S NOT CLEAR TO ME IF THE GRAVIMETRIC METHODOLOGIES BEING TESTED OR THE NECESSARY LAB EXPERTISE NEEDED WAS AVAILABLE IN CHILE OR NOT.

SINCE THE INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADER” HAS NOT BEEN AWARDED THE DEAL YET (to my knowledge), AND IF THEY HAVE ACCESS TO SUPERIOR GRAVIMETRIC PROCESSING METHODOLOGIES FOUND IN PERU, THEN IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE THAT THEY MANDATED A CERTAIN PAIR OF FACILITIES, WITH WHICH THEY HAVE A RELATIONSHIP OF TRUST, TO DO THE TESTING. MAYBE THESE 2 FACILITIES CARRIED SOME KIND OF “CERTIFICATION” TO BE ABLE TO, IN TURN, “CERTIFY” THE CHOSEN METHODOLOGIES AS COMPLYING WITH THE SPECS.

THE OTHER POSSIBILITY IS THAT THE TRADERS THOUGHT THAT SECRECY WOULD BE BETTER KEPT IN FACILITIES THEY HAVE A TRACK RECORD WITH INSTEAD OF THOSE FOUND IN CHILE. WHO KNOWS? AS A PART-TIME FARMER, I’M AWARE OF THE HOOPS AND HURDLES NEEDED TO NEGOTIATE IN ORDER TO HAVE A CROP CERTIFIED AS BEING “ORGANIC”. THERE IS A LOT INVOLVED. ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS PARTIES WILL MANDATE THE PURCHASE OF “GREEN COPPER” OR “GREEN GOLD” ON PROJECTS THEY’RE ASSOCIATED WITH. COMPLYING WITH THESE VARIOUS EDICTS CAN BE FINANCIALLY REWARDING IN THAT THE CONCENTRATES PRODUCED UNDER THESE VARIOUS PROTOCOLS DO TEND TO FETCH A HIGHER PRICE THAN NONCOMPLYING COMMODOTIES.

“The sample is expected to clear customs in Chile this week and will then be sent to the labs in Peru. These tests, including gravimetric and chemical assays, will provide crucial information for maximizing profitability under the agreement.“

INTERPRETATION: THIS SUGGESTS TO ME THAT “MAXIMUM PROFITABILITY” WILL BE ACCORDED TO ORE OR THE USE OF MINING PROCESSES THAT ARE THE MOST COMPLIANT WITH THE VARIOUS MANDATES LIKE NET ZERO EMISSIONS OR REDUCED CARBON FOOTPRINTS. KEVIN REFERRED TO THESE “INTERNATIONAL MINERALS TRADERS” AS BEING A “FUND”, SO I’M ASSUMING THERE IS SOME KIND OF PERHAPS “ETF” INVOLVED BUT THERE CAN BE NO GUARANTEE OF THAT.

I can’t help but sense that Auryn’s earning of their “ESG halo”, as it were, will pay off down the road. I could see where mining majors that might not be behaving in an environmentally responsible fashion might be attracted to sharing space underneath Auryn’s “halo”. Industry participants are now being “ranked” as to their ESG compliance. Countries are being “ranked” as to the percentage of the metals they produce that are being produced in an environmentally responsible fashion that follow the ESG protocols.

I’ve been doing a pretty deep dive into the role of ESG and the mining industry over the last 2 months. This is some pretty serious stuff going on here. From Auryn’s point of view, I think their donning of their “ESG halo” could directly benefit their ability to rapidly “scale up” production. The permitting authorities will appreciate the superior ventilation provided by accessing the “old workings” involving levels 0,1 and 2. They should also embrace the “halo”.

If Auryn does enter into an agreement with these “international minerals traders” demanding ESG compliance, and if they have deep pockets, then it only seems natural that they would do everything in their power to rapidly ramp up production. I’m assuming that the earnings of this “trader” will be tied to the level of concentrate production. What seems like a “no-brainer” to me is Auryn deploying, as soon as is feasible, a “jumbo” drill rig (preferably solar-powered or battery operated). Not only would the mining of each working face go a lot quicker but so too would be the accessing of the lower sub-levels through the drifting of the “decline spiral”. I’ve worked a little bit with a couple of the producers of these “jumbos” (Epiroc and Sandvik) and they have me convinced that the changeover of the current handheld “jack-leg” drills to “jumbos” would result in a night and day instant ramp up in production levels. The “jack-leg” drills were used during the “bootstrapping” days. In an update, Maurizio cited that the “feasibility” of converting to a “jumbo” is being studied.

12 Likes

This might be my favorite, most fantastical post from BB in over two decades.

For the “haters” out there, I promise to never post here again if a single prediction in his post turns out to be accurate. I challenge folks to find an ESG focused offtaker (claiming to be a fund). Its important to understand that the “international minerals traders” (they are all international by the way, otherwise they wouldn’t have a business) have to use those toxic reagents to refine the concentrate. Sooo, the notion that AUMC is morphing into a green mining play is beyond absurd.

The concept of AUMC putting up a solar array on the mountain to charge the batteries to mechanize the mine is “thought provoking.” They don’t even have access to a grid. What happens in the winter months? How would they afford a solar array? Find another mine using this “ESG strategy.”

The ONLY reason why they are limited to a psuedo ESG friendly gravitational concnetration is because they can’t afford anything more advanced. I’d still like to understand where they are sourcing the water by the way. To make the argument that AUMC is pursuing a green mining strategy is literally proposterous. But, but Maurizio said this and that. I find it a bit ironic that the BB’s of the world reference past PRs and statements by the company (from 5 years ago) to legitimize their points even though none of those prediction offered by the company have ever come to fruition.

This is great entertainment but I can only hope that most of the participants on this board actually understand the insanity of what is being presented.

It might make sense for the company to generate a dollar of cash flow, process of ton of ore, enter into a single commercial agreement with binding terms, etc, etc before entertaining AUMC’s potential to solvce the climate crisis by using “green” explosives in blowing up a mountain.

1 Like

Well I guess you have the better scoop with the Chilean Mining authorities than Auryn with your post? That is Hilarious…

The decision was made following a visit by Mr. Carlos Hunt, SEREMI de Minería-Region Metropolitana, and Mr. Christian Orellana, Central Regional Director for SERNAGEOMIN, to AURYN’s La Fortuna de Lampa mine in the Altos de Lipangue Mining District. The mining authorities expressed their satisfaction with AURYN’s operation and its high level of compliance with ESG standards.

“It’s impressive to see the technical and financial effort in this mining project, as well as the high level of compliance with applicable ESG regulations,” said Mr. Hunt, SEREMI de Minería-Region Metropolitana.

It seems that as a very smart investor you pretend to be you simply can’t put the pieces of the puzzle together. (taste of your own poison)

3 Likes

I’m 100% confident MC is “doing what it takes” to make this project a success - and if it involves playing the green game that’s fine with me. Reasonable people can doubt the substance/veracity of green policy, but it’s the world we live in - and people on here, including MC himself, have put their hard-earned money into this project. I don’t think MC wants to be a LOSER. So, he is working with the local university, which on balance and in general is a good thing. Lots of good things happen from there.

4 Likes

Hulk. All I can say is that its refreshing that you are at least trying to string together a point of view that doesn’t involve: “if Dodgecoin can go up so can MDMN.”

ESG standards in mining has nothing to do with actual ESG. I’d encouage you to read up on the topic (beyond the BB brainwashing) before venturing down that path. However, meeting ESG standards of any type shouldn’t be all that difficult for a mine that is not mining. The challenge comes when a company actually tries to make money extracting gold vs. amassing a pile of dirt. I’d love to see an example of a bootstrapped operation trying to generate a dollar of cashflow while pursuing (the extremely expensive) steps of being a green mining play.

I look forward to hearing details on the new solar array. Might be the first on the globe with the exception of Mauna Kea at that elevation. But, if Maurizio says its possible, I’m sure many will take that to the bank based on all of the other things he’s predicted over the past 7 years. Nostradamus would be turning in his grave.

1 Like

I took some time to read up on ESG standards for the mining industry, as you suggested. I’m sorry/not sorry, baldy; but when you’re wrong, you’re wrong. (at least about ESG and Solar Array Energy in this case). Regarding solar energy, the truth is that there’s a growing number of mining companies turning to solar energy to power electricity at remote sites, especially in South America. After the initial cost of setting it up in a remote location, mining companies find that using solar is far more efficient as it saves them from the much higher costs of running diesel generators and other costly mining operation needs.

Please note the following excerpts …

"In order to ensure its expansion and growth, the Brazilian mining industry is increasingly turning to solar power to support its mining operations. Powering these can be a challenge—a mine has inherently high energy consumption due to the heavy equipment, lighting, and safety and ventilation required. Add to that the fact that mines are usually in very remote locations and pose safety concerns with either no or unreliable grid access. Often mines have to rely on noisy, emissions-producing diesel generators with their significant fuel and maintenance costs to supplement their on-site electrical consumption

Replacing diesel generators and augmenting unreliable grid power with local renewable energy sources has the potential to greatly reduce mining operation greenhouse gas emissions as well as costs, by reducing or eliminating production delays due to load shedding and power outages. Which is why mine operators across Central and Latin America, and especially in Brazil, are increasingly turning to solar electricity to take advantage of the region’s abundant sunshine and harvest the electricity required locally, cleanly and more cheaply."

“Despite the upfront costs, mining companies that choose to invest in solar energy are typically able to massively reduce operational costs compared to diesel in the long run and recognize attractive returns on investment. Financing options are also available to reduce or even eliminate the upfront cost.”

“##### Solar improves the resilience of mining sites.
“##### Solar is a greener and more sustainable form of energy.

"Against this background, it can be difficult for mining companies to navigate what is important and how it should be reported. The following issues are covered by the ESG agenda for the mining industry:

• Environment: biodiversity, ecosystem services, water management, mine waste / tailings, air, noise, energy, climate change (carbon footprint, greenhouse gas), hazardous substances, mine closure.

• Social: human rights, land use, resettlement, vulnerable people, gender, labour practices, worker/community health & safety, security, artisanal miners, mine closure / after use.

• Governance: legal compliance, ethics, anti-bribery and corruption (ABC), transparency."

2 Likes

Jaded,

While I sincerely commend your taking the time to explore solar opportunities for the mining sector, I would add the following: the vast majority of mining co’s looking for solar applications also have access to the grid because the intermittant power source from solar jeapordizes continous mining operations.

Yes, there are some examples of well funded, remote mining operations looking to solar as the best of several bad options. However, these remote operators don’t have to endure long stretches of winter when solar activity cannot be relied on. As cited in the article you provided Brazil and Central America don’t have to worry about that issue as much.

Puerto Aguirre, Chile - Climate & Monthly weather forecast (weather-atlas.com)

This new focus on solar and AUMC is just a sideshow distraction. Keep in mind, AUMC was talking about the same game plan 7 years ago without much deviation nor deliverance. The gravimetric concentrator isn’t an ESG push but rather (still) the company’s only option (in lieu of a CIL plant) to push the economics. I’m not saying its a bad idea but let’s not pretend there’s a green mining push.

May 16, 2016 @ 8:01

AURYN Mining Chile SpA (“AURYN” or “the Company” or “AMC”) is pleased to announce the successful completion of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed with Medinah Mining Chile and Medinah Minerals Inc. (MDMN OTCBB-Pink). Pursuant to the previously announced MOU (AURYN Mining Chile SpA (AMC) Signs MOU to Consolidate 100% of Altos de Lipangue Project - AURYN Mining Chile), AURYN has acquired 100% of Medinah’s Altos de Lipangue (ADL) mining claims in exchange for 25,000,000 shares of AURYN Mining Chile SpA. The 25,000,000 shares, which represent a 25% equity stake in AMC, have been delivered to Medinah Minerals.

AURYN is very confident and excited about the potential of this project and has consolidated the 10,000+ hectares which make up the ADL mining district. With the closing of this agreement, AURYN has full control over the project. It should be noted that along with owning 25% of AMC, Medinah Minerals is a 15% shareholder of NUOCO, a company in which AMC holds the remaining 85%.

AURYN is working toward the exploitation of the Caren Mine. We have hired a team of Peruvian experts in underground mining. They have completed the project engineering and mining layout. According to the current exploitation license the maximum tonnage of production allowed is 5,000 tons per month. AURYN’s engineers plan to achieve this level of production within the next 6 to 8 months with a cut-off grade of 15 g/t of gold once production begins.

We expect to start mine preparation during the second week of June. Mine preparation will take approximately two months.

We have conducted metallurgical test runs at recognized laboratories in Chile and Peru. These have resulted in an average gold recovery of over 90% from concentrated ore obtained by a gravimetric Falcon system. Based on this, AURYN expects to produce a total of 5,000 troy ounces of gold in 2016 and over 25,000 troy ounces in 2017.

The cash flow generated from production at the Caren Mine will fund an aggressive exploration program of the Pegaso Nero and further drilling of the Merlin-Fortuna targets. The Pegaso Nero target has great potential to begin proving up a mineralized porphyry.

As we progress toward full scale production AURYN will provide updates regarding costs, mine life, and reserves. In addition, we will be updating our shareholders regarding possible cash distributions after the first quarter of full production.

1 Like

I can understand that perspective, baldy, but I think it’s a bit outdated. I came across a few sources that expressed how ‘green mining’ and ESG would not likely go mainstream. However, those sources were not recent. The improvements in storing solar energy have progressed. I didn’t highlight or include every single paragraph from each of those links, but the (partial) answer to your concern is there for the reading. I’m sure there’s much more detail provided in other articles, too.

From your post:
“the vast majority of mining co’s looking for solar applications also have access to the grid because the intermittant power source from solar jeapordizes continous mining operations.”
***Not anymore according to what I’ve read. There are other remote mining properties off the grid who are turning to solar. Of course, to fully know the details we need to read very recent reports about them.

“these remote operators don’t have to endure long stretches of winter when solar activity cannot be relied on.”
*** Long stretches of winter without much sun can be mitigated by storing solar energy. (Usually there’s still some sunlight during the winter months.) Or by keeping a diesel generator on standby for when the solar batteries get low.

“let’s not pretend there’s a green mining push.”
***Based on what I’ve read, that sentiment is also outdated. If you read more recent reports, you will find that the “green push” is real. Additionaly, meeting ESG standards is a much better way to mine — as described in previous quotes from recent articles/reports. There is a huge push to reduce carbon emissions (and more) due to climate change evidence.

Please Note:

Solar improves the resilience of mining sites

"Having a solar power system at a mining site means it doesn’t have to rely on fuel deliveries to the same extent. They can get a large portion of their power from sunlight collected through the solar panels installed on-site. And while solar panels require sunshine to produce power, their energy can also be stored using batteries for use on cloudy days or at night. Like solar, the cost of battery storage is continuing to fall and becoming more attractive for miners

“Switching to solar power can help mining companies reduce their CO2 emissions significantly. A well-designed solar system can reduce or even – when paired with batteries – eliminate the need to use diesel generators to power work sites. It can also be used to power electric vehicle fleets, another way to effectively cut overall emissions.”

I believe it’s possible to store enough solar energy to get thru the winters. Even if they cannot, it IS possible that they can keep their diesel generators on standby. Then they can revert to the generators if/when the battery depletes. You quoted a Shareholder Update from 2016. But that’s a bit outdated, too, I’m not sure what you were pointing out other than the management’s mistakes over the years. I don’t believe MC has ever intentionally deceived shareholders. Prior management did it all the time! imho.

5 Likes

https://www.kitco.com/news/2023-05-11/Lundin-Gold-posts-net-income-of-51-5-million-in-Q1-2023-on-record-quarterly-production.html

How many faces will Auryn have to cut at the DL to get to 140,000 ounces?

2 Likes

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean to infer that there is not a general green mining push. I was referrring specfically to AUMC. I’ve spent the past three years raising money for a company that will process high-grade electronic waste (from landfills) to produce gold, silver, copper, and platinum. I would agree that the ESG focused funds are flooded with cash and there are a lot of efforts even in traditional mining to reduce a carbon footprint. Yes, mining companies are using solar power and are expected to spend $3.8bn on renewables projects, with plans for a combined capacity of 585 MW in solar energy alone. However, using a solar array with a suitable battery stack is capital intensive. Especially when you are dealing with long winters. This is why most of the renewabe iniatives are either a) being pursued by the largerst of miners who have the capacity to experiment with alternative sources of energy or b) being pursued by the largest of miners who are essentially “green washin” or c) pursued by smaller miners who have the right quantum of sunny days. No doubt that battery storage technologies will ultimately evolve to a point of affordability for most miners but it seems like that is a decade away.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification, baldy. The company you’ve been raising money for sounds quite interesting, You are very knowledgeable about the many mining endeavors. I have a question though: Are you inferring that it’s not feasible to keep diesel generators on standby during the winter months when the solar batteries likely run out periodically during bad weather?

Of course I’m not near as knowledgeable as you and other TMP members are regarding this industry. But I’ve been trying to learn more; mostly from TMP. How many hours of sunshine per day does the ADL get during winter months? I see that Chile’s southernmost parts are fairly close to Antarctica, but the country spans nearly the entire coastline of South America, lol. Are the ADL’s winters worse than winters here in Michigan where I live? Even here we frequently get significant sunshine during winter days. So the solar panels should recharge on days like that, too.

And, I read about how these solar structures are not only coming down in price, but there are other financial incentives and/or options that can make it affordable for the mining industry — especially since concerns about climate change are finally peaking. You mentioned that “…most renewable initiatives are being pursued by the largerst of miners who have the capacity…” I do not recall WHEN MC said he’s planning to go solar, but is it possible that he plans to wait to put the plan in place until after production begins? Since Auryn is already working with ‘authorites’ on the green path, going solar doesn’t seem too far-fetched, imo. I’m sure many of us would be interested in the details and how this is progressing. I sure am. Which of your scenarios are the most accurate? Time will tell. Maybe we all have a great deal to learn about it. Until then, I’ll shut up about it. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like