Other Mining Stocks

A number of years ago I pointed out the similarities between the ADL and its story and that of Hot Chili Limited some few hundred KMs north of the ADL: low altitude coastal deposit in Chile, infrastructure, copper / gold porphyry, etc.

But Hot Chili has had some big supporters. They are partnered with CMP of Chili. They have big investors like Sprott and Rick Rule and others in Australia.

They just recently came out with a 500MT initial resource (multi-million Au ounces) with multiple porphryries identified after 10 years or so of property consolidation and work with hopes of getting to 1000MT+ resource. It appears to be one of the best copper deposit discoveries in the world in the last number of years.

Even with all this going for them they are still at about an $80M - $90M USD mkt cap (trades in AUD). Potentially worth a look if you want to consider copper stocks: HOT CHILI / Announces Cortadera Maiden Resource World Class Copper-Gold Discovery - YouTube

2 Likes

CHG, if you had to decide which is the better value between Medinah with its $3m market cap and Hot Chile with its $100,000,000 market cap which would you choose ??? IOW, is it your opinion that Hot Chile is worth 30 times more than Medinah ??? This is a serious question :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Spargos is a big plus for Karora. Very good news going forward. Not buying here, but only because I have a “full” overweight position. Karora is well positioned to be an early gainer from here when POG upward trend resumes.

Seasonality in the PM space is a very major influence. This is a major good time to replace profits from positions sold this summer. Stink bids getting filled … but were they really stink bids?
One should note that for producing miners seasonality influence will depend on which hemisphere the producing mines are located. For diversified major miners this is less important and the major influence is POG.

I consider my PM investments in several different categories and are diversified into majors, midtiers, micro and speculative explorers. All are played a little different. An especially important space during a bull PM trend are the streamers. Right now is a good time for stink bids to get filled, especially for speculative plays with the nonproducing explorers who have stopped reporting drilling results due to winter weather or Covid restrictions.

1 Like

Well, not to get hung up on 30x or 20x or whatever, it is worth a lot more at this point. Whether the respective deposits are worth more or less is only knowable in the distant future. But at this point, HCH has done over 40Km of drilling, having spent over $100M so far, has a maiden combined resource of over 750MT with a realistic goal of getting to 1000MT, which is Tier1 copper size. Their grades are good, if not eye-popping great. They are spread out over some distance as they are combining a couple of deposits, which is not ideal. But they have all the advantages often talked about for the ADL in terms of altitude, available infrastructure. In addition they already have a state-partnership with CMP and they have heavyweight supporters with money who have put up lots of dollars and now have lots of skin in the game. The ADL seems years away from this state.

It should be noted that much of HCH’s progress has come in the last 2 years out of the 10 years they have been working. They started out trying to define a copper deposit but could not come up with size, grades, etc. to make it work. Then they went through a couple of years of trying to identify a high grade gold deposit on the property and start out as a gold company. That failed too. They came close to ceasing to exist for sure. Then they made a big deal and combined properties and they made some fortunate discoveries and in two years they have a promising first formal resource defined.

It should also be noted it is unclear how HCH ends. They already have 3B shares outstanding fully-diluted. They only have a few $M in treasury. So how they actually turn this into a mine seems likely to involve some large players to take over the heavy lifting at some point assuming they can come up with the resource size that makes those players interested enough to pay up.

1 Like

Much appreciated !!! My Chilean stocks keep getting worse and worse. Think I’ll move to Mexico . . .
maybe look at Vizsla. :roll_eyes:

The Pebble Creek project in Alaska is very close to being completely dead.

1 Like

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-11-26/Kirkland-Lake-Gold-sells-66-of-its-shares-in-Novo-Resources-for-45M.html

1 Like

I wasn’t following the Canadian market yesterday due to enjoying Thanksgiving, so I missed the news that Kirkland Lake dumped 2/3 of its Novo shares which caused the stock to drop 14% in the Canadian market. A similar downward move is expected in NSRPF when US markets open.

Those who follow Novo closely know that there has been somewhat of a separation between KL and Novo in the making. Aside from rumors being bounced around on the boards which you can take with a grain of salt, Eric Sprott, who is a major shareholder in Novo, had left his board position in KL and sold off a good portion of his KL holdings. KL sold a small position in Novo back in August and then in September KL let their warrants in Novo expire without further investment in the company. So shareholders could make the case that KL and Novo are going in separate directions and that has been intimated by Quinton Hennigh on occasion over the past year. In response to yesterday’s news, QH responded:

Best to have them out fast. The way they were selling was ridiculous.
Long funds with bigger vision are taking up the shares.
Novo will be fine
TSX:V.NVO Forum Post | WisGuy1-31977684 | QH on KL | Novo Resources Corp*

Additionally, here is a post from knowledgeable poster TXRogers on Stockhouse which I believe appropriately sums up the situation:

[quote=“Hurricane_Rick, post:2032, topic:1057, full:true”]
I wasn’t following the Canadian market yesterday due to enjoying Thanksgiving, so I missed the news that Kirkland Lake dumped 2/3 of its Novo shares which caused the stock to drop 14% in the Canadian market. A similar downward move is expected in NSRPF when US markets open.

Those who follow Novo closely know that there has been somewhat of a separation between KL and Novo in the making. Aside from rumors being bounced around on the boards which you can take with a grain of salt, Eric Sprott, who is a major shareholder in Novo, had left his board position in KL and sold off a good portion of his KL holdings. KL sold a small position in Novo back in August and then in September KL let their warrants in Novo expire without further investment in the company. So shareholders could make the case that KL and Novo are going in separate directions and that has been intimated by Quinton Hennigh on occasion over the past year. In response to yesterday’s news, QH responded:

Best to have them out fast. The way they were selling was ridiculous.
Long funds with bigger vision are taking up the shares.
Novo will be fine
TSX:V.NVO Forum Post | WisGuy1-31977684 | QH on KL | Novo Resources Corp*

Additionally, here is a post from knowledgeable poster TXRogers on Stockhouse which I believe appropriately sums up the situation:*

My concensus on the situation is that KL and NVO parting ways is a catharsis of sorts. KL and NVO have recently grown in different directions. And whatever additional growth opportunities they may want to pursue going forward will likely not be a joint effort.

Personally, I don’t agree with KL’s business choice but that’s not my decision to make. The two companies obviously don’t see eye to eye with the Pilbara, and therefore should not remain partners on this district project. There is no clean way to separate. I prefer a hard fast break over a long drawn out exit via incremental stock selling.

Is this all good news? Of course not. A breakup of a partnership that once held a mutually shared vision is unfortunate. But it happens. And it does not necessarily spell bad times ahead for either party.

To hurl drama and warnings of doom towards such a breakup is misplaced. It’s more a capitulation and closure event.
*Novo is alone. Has been for some time. *

I do not invest in Novo solely based on its partnerships. I invest in NVO because I share in their vision. If others don’t, no big deal. All should be free to seek out and join with like minded people of their choice.

*Nothing to celebrate. Nothing to mourn. *

Only a business to build.

Tx
TSX:V.NVO Forum Post | TXRogers-31987198 | RE:RE:QH tonight | Novo Resources Corp

In anticipation of Novo’s first gold pour scheduled in Q1 2021, I will be a buyer at these levels, though I had assumed my buying had been done in Novo for the time being.

2 Likes

Little concerning. Kirkland is in a better position to know if NOVO will be successful or a failure than we do. They clearly think it will not succeed. Timing is odd with the first gold pour coming closer. Maybe they simply want NOVO to fail. Not sure what to think. The one/two bunch of this and lower gold prices is very typical 2020 sort of thing for sure!

2 Likes

I bought more when the price dropped today more than happy to do so.

3 Likes

Good luck. I may do the same especially if it drops further. Don’t know of any reason(in the public domain) why that one won’t succeed. I’m overweighed in KRR and have been waiting for that to perform better and then roll the profits into Novo.

5 Likes

FYI - Some “informed” commentary regarding Novo and Kirkland Lake:

@WisGuy1 From @exploratory:@exploratory Been stupid busy wrapping up my 2020 field season, but thanks for keeping me posted. As you know, it has long been apparent to me that Novo has been on a methodical and workman-like trajectory to profitable production and positive cash flow, with unavoidable interference from the coronavirus pandemic obviously delaying the first pour from Q4 2020 until Q1 of 2021. Those skeptics who doubted Novo could transition relatively easily and smoothly from explorer only to explorer and miner/producer IMO confused the massive challenges well known to accompany the undertaking of complex major mining associated with big open pit and/or underground operations with Novo’s much simpler and straight-forward BC and Egina surface strip mining undertakings which are much more akin to earth and gravel moving tasks. QH is spot on with his confident projections of profitable low cost gold mining by Novo in the near term. That cash flow will be a game changer, and bashers better get their last bashing in soon before Novo dore bars close that window. FWIW, too, my perspective on KL reducing its Novo position seems to be a bit different from some, and a lot less negative a development. Aside from its market impact prompting a transient downward dip in Novo stock price, I view it as a natural and predictable reallocation of assets by KL that takes into account Novo’s decision to be the miner of its holdings in the Pilbara rather than KL being the miner. Let me explain what I mean. Kl is a mining company. Its business and core mission is to mine. It is not in the business of investing in other mining companies and watching them mine. TM made it crystal clear some time back that KL was interested in being the miner in the Pilbara, not just a passive investor. I believe that Novo was initially open to KL being the miner, or at least miner. However, as things developed, my sense is that it eventually became apparent to KL that Novo intended to become, and saw its path forward as becoming, its own miner (at least at BC and at Egina and elsewhere as to gold bearing lag gravels). It also became clear, I think, that Novo had no interest in or intention to be acquired and/or controlled by KL. Once KL came to understand that, it made perfect sense to me and became inevitable that KL would sooner or later elect to sell its investment in Novo and put those financial resources to work elsewhere where its assets would be deployed so as to more closer align with KL’s internal mining goals and objectives. This is NOT to say that KL’s sale of its interest in Novo will necessarily make KL’s shareholders the most money, but only that it does not surprise me that it would choose to take its cash off the Novo table and invest it in mining opportunities for itself elsewhere. This is also not at all to say that KL thinks that Novo can’t or won’t succeed as a miner or that its Pilbara and other investments and projects are not economic. Quite the contrary. But I do think that if KL is not in control and doing the mining itself, they’re not interested. Also FWIW, I think this is a great time to invest in Novo given that Novo is about to begin up the second phase its BC Lassonde curve. Among other things, Novo will have enjoy access to an entire new set of potential investors who follow and invest in promising new producing miners. QH may or may not finally get the credit he deserves from the conventional skeptics out there, but the considerable wealth that he will be soon creating in the form of Pilbara dore will be credit enough for Novo’s shareholders.

6 Likes

Additionally:

The Changing Code: Zen, and the Art of …….

I have a rather neutral view on the Kirkland Lake /Novo marriage and recent divorce. I am not going to comment so much upon the positive or negative aspect to the relationship, because we all know that all divorces are not necessarily negative, just as all marriages are not always positive. They all are complex and changing arrangements between partners.

What is most important to me is understanding the underlying relationships, and the resulting Code of Conduct between the parties involved. And expect the Code to change, along with all things in an investment’s life. I derive my opinion on this investment by the events and character profiles that have shaped this story over the last 5 years or so. It sure has developed in very interesting ways.

Over 3 years ago, I wrote a piece called Player Pattern Recognitions at the NVO Game Table that spanned back to early 2014. It ended with a summary as follows:

I think junior investors have to realize that the process above is a practiced formula in building a Major through investment, acquisition, and calculated strategy. And the assumption that a player like Eric Sprott poses a threat to Quinton Hennigh is misplaced. These two individuals are not opponents – THEY ARE PARTNERS. They have worked together very successfully in the past. And one needs no further proof than to look at Irving Resources that operates in my own adopted home country of Japan.

And to this day, the Pattern Recognition trajectory continues with the Novo and ES forays into new SE Australian prospects close to Fosterville, and the New Found Gold play in Canada.

But instead of the patterns above continuing to manifest themselves into corporate mergers centered around a KL Jovian, significant changes have occurred to the gaming table itself that resulted in alternate outcomes. The largest being the core changes at Kirkland Lake itself, and the other being the shift in Novo’s focus into unilateral mining decisions driven by their own business needs.

If one reads the Player Pattern Recognitions above, there is an interesting exclusion: The introduction of Tony Makuch into the growth timeline as Kirkland morphed from a junior into a Major under the stewardship of The Accountant. The exclusion existed because Tony Makuch ™ was actually irrelevant in the broader game being played out.

TM came into the picture as the CEO of Kirkland back in June of 2016. ES being the Accountant Svengali and major shareholder in Kirkland, who was already well underway to building Kirkland into a Major producer – increasing his personal stakes in both Kirkland and Newmarket Gold which he was stickhandling. TM was not brought in to offer added vision or strategic inputs into constructing the new Major. He was brought in to manage the operations of the Kirkland Lake Gold company, and to “bring home the bacon”.

I am not going to speculate on the opinions that TM may have held with regards to Newmarket and Kirkland Lake merging. Only that I believe that based on the timing of events, his opinions were unlikely to be sought or considered relevant. All that mattered to ES was growing the “Honeypot” and the numbers behind it. Why would TM have any real say on it? He was never the architect behind the union in the first place.

So, how does a dynamic and speculative Accountant in Chief like ES satisfy his game? That’s simple: Find the “Honeypots”. He is not the type of character to be mired in the daily grunt work of mining operations. He has always sought (and still does) those golden pots in the ground. And that’s why he maintains such close bonds to his star geologists. Based on their speculative inputs, ES steered Kirkland into what it had become at the day of his retirement - a $multibillion gold producing Major. Here is TM’s send-off to ES upon his retirement in early 2019:

“I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with Eric over the last 2.5 years. Not only is he a great business leader with an accurate and informed view of the market, he has been a mentor and confidant to me, providing solid advice and direction. I will certainly miss our early morning calls and meetings. During his tenure as Chairman, Kirkland Lake Gold has emerged as a top performing gold company, one that is well positioned for continued growth and value creation in the years to come….”

Based on that send-off speech, who do you think was in charge of things up to that that period? The power that comes with being the corporate visionary, as well as the largest and controlling shareholder. So, throughout this time from his onboarding we have TM in the background running operations while ES and his geo-stars went forth to build and shape the company that he was tasked to manage. Like a loose diick at a wedding, I would think a certain frustration (possibly resentment) would set in as each year passed by.

Now, we reach the subject of Novo Resources. The nature and timing of the play back in 2017 was destined to once again unite ES and QH on yet another grand adventure: The potential of the Pilbara. The ingredients were all there for both these men to take Novo Resources to a new stage, with Kirkland Lake in tow. However, this was something that I could not see TM embracing. Not based on his operational and pragmatic mining operations background. Kirkland Lake was going to invest in Novo, and there was not much TM could do about it while ES ran the roost. Once again, he would be sidelined by the Accountant in Chief.

But the status quo was not to remain as such. And TM was to have his day. Never underestimate the tenacity and pragmatism of an excellent Ops manager, in spite of their bland demeanor.

Two events ensured the ascension of Tony the Tiger:

1. The early 2019 retirement of ES from Kirkland Lake, and his subsequent divesture in the company.
  2. Novo Resources tedious and arduous growth into an unconventional gold producing operation on its own.

Both these events would lead to some unescapable outcomes. TM would dominate the next chapter of Kirkland’s growth which would be anchored in a more conventional business model. Despite all that “mentoring”, he would remain the stuttering bland conventionalist, and revert back to surrounding himself with familiar faulty kitchen appliances and the landscape of The Gulch with which he is most familiar. TM is not the type to “Go Hollywood”, and he would also make sure that neither would Kirkland Lake under his tenure.

Considering that KL is now a Major producer catering to institutional investors, TM is most likely the right man for the job when it comes down to it. But I have stated this previously, and I will state it again: I highly doubt that the construction of today’s KL would have been possible under the current management. No way would they have successfully taken on and navigated the needed risk / reward decisions to pull it off.

So, as the top decision maker in Kirkland Lake Gold, I cannot envision TM continuing to support involvement in byzantine projects like Novo Resources. And he has the authority to disengage KL from whatever he considers speculative, risky, and unconventional. Subsequently, we can also expect that ES would become impatient on the increasingly protracted focus by Novo on mining operations and new technologies. But, unlike Kirkland Lake, ES would still continue to seek out involvement with Novo and QH with regards to new exploration and discovery plays. The love affair with his star-geos and the relentless quest for greater “honeypots” will never die. It’s a pattern.

This is why today’s “Lady Jane” Novo is essentially alone in framing its own picture, and placing itself in the center.

Novo is Alone, it’s Grown Up

Novo chases its own unique vision of building a gold exploration and production business. You either agree with it, feel uncomfortable with it, or you completely despise it. The story has most certainly tested its strongest supporters and surprised its harshest critics. And speaking of some of the critics, they never seem to exhaust their ability to offer up some of stupidest and most superficial perspectives, revealing little understanding of Corporate Culture, how it can be formed under strong individuals, and the nature of the men behind it all. Actually, that goes for some of the bulls as well.

I have message for those types that confuse the Codes of Conduct with animosity …… Grow Up, don’t be so sensitive to change, and learn from the Past. Message from Tx:

In the end, judging situations such as Novo against a backdrop of a changing Kirkland Lake leadership and the priorities of a departed ES is actually pointless. And so is seeking opinions from other sources completely unfamiliar with the corporate cultures behind this Novo story. Every situation is to be analyzed and judged as a “stand-alone”, inclusive of Novo that has remained much more consistent in its unique vision and mission statement than the ever-changing relationship with its partners.

There is no right or wrong, no good and bad characters, and no corporate failings in the larger view. There are only shifting relationships and investor expectations that will always impact all involved. Understand the core of the Novo investment. If the impact of external forces poses no significant threat to the prime Novo mission statement …. then simply ignore the noise.

And don’t get obsessed on the irrelevant. Try and think for yourself. Be at Peace, and don’t get stuck in the minor leagues.

2 Likes

FYI - I bought more Novo (NSRPF) on Friday at $1.82. Although I was upset with the stock getting pummeled because now it is under my average share price, I was relatively calm and methodical about adding to my position. In 3 months I expect the share price to be back to recent highs or higher assuming Novo starts pouring gold. At that point, I think all shareholders can be very confident and excited about the future. However, until then there is still uncertainty and risks to maneuver around until developments mitigate those risks.

I may buy some more next week as the dust settles more.

2 Likes

Good for you Rick I think you made a smart move I picked some at 178 on Friday

2 Likes

Karora Resources has begun to buy back shares.
60,000 on 11/27/2020
10,000 on 11/30/2020

Small amounts to begin with, but it will be interesting to see if this is a daily occurrence. I read they are limited to buying back 84,000 shares per day. Not sure if that is true or not…

GNGXF (inventus) doing well. Thanks for that tip!

1 Like

Yep, I’m viewing this as a buying opportunity - if the head grade turns out good due to the work of the sorters we’re gonna be rolling big time!

Yeah, the Novo chart looks very weak right now and I’m expecting further downside, but the bottom seems to be close. I have a little bit more powder dry, but will wait a bit longer before committing.

3 Likes